Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Inheritance

I inherited a lot of cool things from my parents. From my dad I got my eyelashes and sense of responsibility (thanks dad!). From mom I got my youthful appearance and my love of learning (thanks mom!).

Along with all the awesome things, I inherited a few bummers. Like the high cholesterol I have had since I was 23 and weighed 120 pounds (um, thanks dad?). Or the tendency towards autoimmune diseases and diabetes (um, thanks mom?). So when I have a heart attack or get diagnosed with diabetes I can just say, "oh well. I inherited it.", right? It's my excuse for not taking care of myself, right? I can say that 90% of my mom's family is obese and that makes it okay for me not to take care of myself, right?

I have gone through periods of taking very good care of myself, and other times not so much, but I have never, ever, had that excuse mentality that my "issues" are not my own responsibility to work out.

So here's my vent. First mistake - I turned on The View the other day. Why do I do this? Because I like to torture myself I guess. They were talking about how Obama has a poor popularity rating right now and Joy Behar points out for the zillionth time that Obama did not create all of the problems we are dealing with as a country right now. He INHERITED them. To which the audience gives a rousing round of applause accompanied by whoops and hollers. How insightful, Joy!

Gag me.

I am so sick of hearing this now for almost 2 years. Is the fact that we had problems somehow an excuse for him not to do a good job? Do people think that other presidents have not also inherited messes? Granted, our nation is facing perhaps more challenges than ever before. Obama did know this coming in, correct? Why are we sitting here 2 years later making excuses? I am no fan of Bush's either, but EVERY president inherits problems from those who came before. We are human, and a nation run by humans, and we have problems!! Lots of problems! This is why we elect someone who we think can best deal with the problems of the current day. Did I vote for Obama? No, I did not. Do I now support him as my president? Yes, he was elected and I pray that he will be a good president for us. Will I inherit the results of his policies? Yes, I will, as will every other American. Will we sit and complain about our lousy inheritance? I'm sure some will but I for one am sick of the excuses.

I need to lose weight and take better care of myself, this I know. If I don't, I should not be surprised when those scary diagnoses hit me - for I've known pretty much since I was born that these were the cards I was dealt. Likewise, Obama's excusers and apologetics need to get over their "inheritance" and just do their dang jobs. They sound like a bunch of bawlbabies.

2 comments:

granny said...

Did you just call me fat? No, you've got a good point there other than supporting your president. I don't support him because if he succeeds the country will fail. I know you're just saying that you want him to do a good job for the country, but Obama makes me puke!

Shel said...

There is a great website with information on natural supplements that can keep you healthy. I just started taking vitamin d supplements. I also share in the challenges of high cholestrol.