Friday, September 17, 2010

Done?

It is so weird - this class has dominated my life for the last 18 months (okay, so I took it a little easy the first 12 of those months with a move and all...but for the last 6 months? Intense.)

Now I'm kinda, maybe? done and I'm trying to remember what I did with all my time back in "the day"!

I took my final on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. I had 48 hours to complete the test. First, there was an objective section - 150 questions about things like grammar and anatomy and blah blah blah. It only took about an hour and I passed (they do not tell you your score, only if you got at least 85%, which is a pass).

Then there were the 8 dictations. I listened to them and didn't think they were so bad. Most of the doctors spoke English and the audio was fairly clear. I was feeling optimistic.

I did the initial typing, knowing that there would be errors I would need to correct, terms I would need to look up, etc. Over the 48 hours (well, 42, I submitted it a bit before the deadline) I would go back and edit and re-edit until I felt good about it. I ended up with 5 words that I just absolutely could not understand. I had googled and looked up everything I could find about MRIs and CT scans in hopes of having that AHA! moment when I finally realized what it was the doc was saying, but I just never got there. So, I submitted my 8 reports with 5 words that I know I missed, and I'm sure a few other missteps as well. Now, we'll just wait and see if it was enough to pass. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and saying my prayers! It will take "up to 2 weeks" for my results.

So...in the meantime, after you take the final there is one more section to complete in the course - it isn't mandatory, but something to do while you wait for test results. It is an introduction to medical editing, since so many doctors are moving to speech recognition. I have really been loving it! There is so much less typing (good for sore wrists). I'm kinda liking it. I'm not going to put the cart before the horse though - I need more experience before I could really do something like this. Something to work towards perhaps. Then law school, lol!

This morning I spent over an hour catching up on all the blogs I follow on google reader! Wow, you all have been up to a lot while I've been hiding in my MT hole! I *think* I am back to normal life now, until I find a job, that is. :)

2 comments:

Mama D said...

Congrats!! I'm sure you did well. Now that you have a semblance of a normal life, what do you plan to do?

(I think catching up on blogs is a great way to spend time waiting for your results!)

Brianne said...

Congratulations on finishing the class! If you're looking for somewhere to work from home, Focus Infomatics is a good company to work for. Just tell them what schedule you'd like to have and they pretty much give you what you want (but I think you have to work at least a couple hours on a weekend day). I've worked on 3 different hospitals in the 2-1/2 years I've worked for Focus and I can tell you which ones are good and which one is bad (if you're interested).

Good luck with everything!

Oh, if you set up a Yahoo IM account, you can IM me with any questions you have on reports. My yahoo ID is focus_e_us1676.