Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Camp and Reading Logs and Fundraisers, OH MY

You can tell I am still waiting on test results. No class to work on, no job, I start blogging again! I'm also still reading. I've been catching up on different things, and still hanging in there with "The Host". I still am not getting that into it, and I'm almost halfway done. I find myself picking up other books or magazines instead. However, after this post I'm going to give it another hour and then if I'm not into it, it's time to move on. Why waste my time on a book I don't like?

School is going well so far. The girls are loving their teachers and having fun. We also got our first reading logs and fundraiser forms this week. KILL ME NOW. I hate this stuff.

Seriously, I would rather just have the school blatantly ask me for a check than to try to have me help my kid sell overpriced stuff that no one needs. Anyone need a magazine? Didn't think so. But of course the kids run in so excited - "Mom, I'm going to win an ipod touch if I sell the most!" Um...hate to break it to you kids but you are not going to be selling the most, because your mom isn't going to be calling your out-of-state family or harrassing all your elderly neighbors to buy crap they don't need. Sorry.

Reading logs. Is there any faster way to take all of the joy out of reading? I think not! I know there are kids out there who would not read if they didn't have to write it on a log - but my kids are going to read 30 minutes every night regardless. To spend 30 minutes reading and enjoying a good book, only to have to turn around and write down the title, author, and how long you spent reading the book (or how many pages)...is...just...so....tedious. Oh, and this year we have practice logs too, for band. Being a former music teacher myself, I do see the need to practice, but really I don't want to have to time my 6th grader to make sure she's putting in a whole 20 minutes and then have to sign her paper every night.

Am I just lazy or do other parents hate this stuff too?

Tomorrow night there is a meeting for 6th grade camp. They go for the week after Thanksgiving (hello beautiful weather!). There are alternate activities for the kids who don't go. Sis is still undecided if she wants to go or not. I think it would be a good experience for her, but on the other hand...maybe I'll just save my $200 and take her out and let her do some trust falls with me and Dee instead. We'll even let her invite a few friends so they can bond and we'll take them out for pizza afterwards.

So those are the things that are irking me right now.

Now, on the positive side - we had an awesome RS class last night on food storage and emergency preparedness. I learned a lot and got some great ideas and resources and I'm excited to update our 72-hour-kits over conference weekend and start the 3-month supply ideas we talked about last night.

I'm also looking forward to the documentary, "Waiting for Superman". I saw a little thing on it on Oprah the other day and it looks like it's going to be great.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I hate all the papers that I have to go through. I swear if they would stop sending so much paper we would save billions of trees. Also dislike fundraisers. My kids were so disappointed that we didn't win the Disneyland tickets. You really thought we might win? Not likely.

PS Thanks for making a comment on my blog!

Mama D said...

I'm a parent who hates this stuff, too. And I look like the world's biggest fan compared to Ray's opinions on these school matters... ;)