Friday, April 23, 2010

You may be right, I may be crazy!


When we first drove up to this house, I thought - Oh yay! University of Wyoming colors! Oh...wait. Don't I make fun of those colors? (No offense to the in-laws, half of whom graduated from U of W)!

Those colors have bothered me ever since. Especially the front door.

Last summer we looked into getting a new front door, but it was just too expensive for the one I really wanted. When our door started literally falling apart a few weeks ago though, I decided it was time to bite the bullet, use the tax refund, and get a much more reasonably priced door and get it done!

This spurred a I'm not putting a new door on a house with ugly brown trim thoughts, so I started messing around with different options in photoshop and came up with:
Drum roll please....

white trim, with black shutters (you thought I was going to say BYU Blue and White, didn't you??). The front door is white, with a Craftsman-style window on the upper third. I may or may not paint the doors black. We'll have to see what I think when they arrive (ANY DAY NOW!!!)

For the trim, I figured I could either spend $75 on paint and put in the time myself, or I could wait a few years with a mis-matched house and pay professionals a whole lot more to do it. So, of course, I started painting.
Holy moley, that was a crazy choice. The first day I did half the front porch, one coat, and was dying. The second day, I did the shutters and some more of the porch, plus around the garage. Mind you, this is just one coat. The white is going to need another. I figure I've done about 1/8 of the house, with one coat, so about 1/16 of the way done? That might even be optimistic.

Here are some pics of what I've done so far. Please tell me you can at least see my vision and that this will all be worth it in the end.
Oh, and most of the rest of it us up high. I don't do that well with heights. Time for Dee to start! I know he's going to be muttering under his breath the whole time. I might have to remind him that he was offered a scholarship to U of W and he turned it down....I personally think it was because of their colors.
Here is a little photoshop of what we think it might look like afterwards: And now....ON WITH THE PAINTING!

1 comment:

grammy said...

Angie, What a huge project. One thing is you are not afraid to go after it. Good luck on this, be careful on the latter and all. Can't wait to see your finished project.