Friday, April 30, 2010

Good kids

Welcome to my brag....er....I mean blog.

I feel blessed to have really great kids. Sure, we have our moments, but they are all turning out to be productive members of society, and what else can a mom ask for? I am very proud of them.

Report cards came home this week, as well as MEAP results for the older two girls. We saw everything we wanted to on the report cards, and "advanced" in all levels for both girls on the MEAP. In fact, our family brain (we share one amongst us and she got most of it) Sis got a perfect score in the Language Arts portion of her MEAP. Did not miss one question. :-)

More than the letters and numbers we were looking for were the comments we got. Things about being good citizens and helping others and always doing their best. Those are the things that make me happy.

Lou had some artwork shown last weekend and WE FORGOT TO GO SEE IT! That's lame. I always knew that Lou had a flair for the arts - she loves her cello and piano and being a drama queen (lol) but I didn't know visual arts was her "thing" until we got a letter home saying her work had been chosen to be displayed at the district show. I was so excited to see it and take pics and all that, and then somehow did not write it on the calendar and completely forgot. Sorry Lou. I'm sure it was lovely and we are proud of the artistic you!

In other school-related news, I took Sis last night to her middle school orientation. Middle school??? Technically, she was in middle school in Louisiana, but that was just because they do things weird there. Middle school there was 4-6 grade. Here, middle school is 6-8. So, back to middle school for Sis. Overall, I was pretty impressed with the school, but as the principal talked about how much the kids will change in that time and how quickly it will go, I just got sad because I know that is true. It will fly by, and SO many changes in those years for the kids. Kind of scary for a mom. Sis is perfectly capable of handling it though. I don't fear for her, I fear for myself. My baby is growing up .

In the meantime, Pippy continues to keep us smiling with her creative writing (no, they are not doing creative writing. They are doing non-fiction. Make your own assumptions!). She told in one of her stories about how we are working every day after school (as a family) for someone until midnight because we are trying to save money for a vacation. Yep, you heard it here first - I make my kids work until midnight every day. Oh, and it was for like 5 cents an hour. Almost matches the time she told Sister Benson I have a son that I keep in the attic.

She also wrote about how her grandfather was really sick, and we took him to the hospital but he died anyway. She talked in detail about picking out the casket and saying goodbyes and all. Her teacher said it was one of the most beautiful stories she has read. Problem is, none of it is true. What do you do with a kid who has a vivid imagination and would be a wonderful creative writer EXCEPT that she is supposed to be telling the TRUTH!!! Um....we are working on that in the "good citizen" department.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Isn't it so great when you get good news! Kinsie starts at PGJHS this fall. I can't believe it!