Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Left Eye

One day last year I was substituting at Northshore High. I had duty, and was out in the commons area when the principal approached me to see how everything was going. We were there chatting when suddenly my left eye just started flowing...it was so embarrassing! He said, "well, I didn't mean to make you cry!"

I have had trouble with this eye ever since. It itches, it twitches, it gets steyes (sp?), it waters, it hurts. I went in for a new contact and eyeglass prescription before we moved, and I told the optometrist about it. He thought that my contacts might be causing the problem and switched to a different brand. That did seem to help a bit, but since we moved it's just gotten worse and worse - to the point that now I rarely wear my contacts, or even eye makeup for that matter. I'd say 5 days out of 7 you will find me makeup-less and with my glasses on. I hate it really, vanity! Even then, I have trouble most days - it just makes it easier to deal with if I don't have makeup to smear or a contact in the way.

So, I've been looking for an eye doctor. An opthalmologist this time. I have to have a referral for that, which means I need to find a primary care doc because I don't like my current one. Our insurance plan with the church is AWESOME if you are in Utah...everyone accepts it. Here, not so much. We need to go through one of two "systems" and neither one has been easy to navigate yet. I'm learning.

Eventually, PRK!! A few years ago I went in to get LASIK and was told I needed PRK - but that would lay me out a bit more (3 days of basically sleeping, 10 days without driving)...which with 3 little kids living out of state from my family was just out of the question at the tiime. Now that the kids are a bit older, if I have the flexible spending money available at the end of the year, I'm going for it. I want my eyes back.

1 comment:

grammy said...

So glad you are getting this looked into. My eyes water all the time also, but my problems are allergies. Keep us up on this.