Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December!!

There is no way on earth it is December already! I completely do not feel like it's time for Christmas at all. Bah hambug.

Having said that, all of our indoor decorating is done. We'll see if we are motivated enough to do the outside. Shopping? Not even started (I am usually DONE by halloween!)

Despite my fight against it, December has nonetheless arrived. Which means I don't need to post about my blessings anymore. I can be totally ungrateful now. :-)

Last night I typed a whole post about stuff...mainly Max Hall and his recent diarrhea of the mouth. But I deleted it, because really, who cares? It's football. And not only football, but about two very average Mountain West teams who both acted like incredibly bad sports through the entire game and who both at times tried to give away the game to the other team. Yawn. Ute fans being rude and vulgar? Yeah, we already knew that. As far back as I can remember (at least 1992) I have sat near Ute fans who got their jollies from wearing nasty t-shirts and dropping f-bombs and all the other glorious things they do because they knew they were around Mormons and it's fun to make Mormons squirm. Eighty percent of Ute fans are nice (and probably Mormon), and there is a very vocal and very vulgar minority (although even a minority numbers in the thousands) who need to go back to finishing school. This we knew.

A lot of college rivalries seem really fun. This one just gets way too personal from a religious standpoint, and I think it's inappropriate much of the time. You can cheer FOR your team instead of wasting time hating on someone else. And some BYU fans are jerks too (although I have to honestly say I've never seen one of them stoop to the level of what I've seen from some Utes).

Having said all that (much more briefly than I did last night), I'm a BYU grad so of course I'm going to support my school. But I cheer for the Utes every game of their season except one. You have to admit that Ute fans don't seem to have that same attitude. They want BYU to lose every game. Think about it - wouldn't you rather have the BYU/Utah game be for the conference title every year - between the two best teams in the conference? I would. So, go Utes. Go Cougars. Especially Go Cougars. Play your game and shut your mouths and we'll all be better off, and may the best team win (which they did - both this year and last. BYU is the better team this year, and Utah was last year.) Hopefully they will both just settle down and win their bowl games!

2 comments:

Mama D said...

Amen!!

(Although I have to say that Dec is a pretty cool month - my birthday, anniversary, Christmas, New Year's... Fun!)

Kristen said...

I'm not making excuses for Max Hall, but did you hear what the Ute fans did to his mom, wife and mother-in-law last year? Ty said if someone did that to his family, he probably would have said a lot worse things. I agree though that people seem to lose sight that it's just a game. It just goes back to my same old, same old. Just be nice to EVERYONE, even though they are different then you. Why can't we all just be okay that we are different? Drives me crazy.....