Tuesday, December 1, 2009

One more rant: Adam Lambert

(Can you tell I'm putting off the laundry and cleaning today?)

Performances like this one really won me over as an Adam Lambert fan on American Idol. Beautiful.

Other times, his screaming was a little more than I could take. I still like him, when he SINGS. When he screams, ugh.

So, I've been putting off my commentary on his AMA performance because frankly, I didn't want to be a part of even one more person having the curiosity to see it. Yep, it's that nasty.

First, the singing. Not good. The screeching Adam is back...and I don't like him.

But really, the controversy is not about his singing, it's about the performance. Simulating sex acts and such. Not cool.

This morning Adam was a guest on the Ellen show. Of course the comment was made that people are upset because of the homosexual depiction of things. Ellen made a comment something to the effect that if you are going to be upset about him kissing a guy on tv (and other things that we're not even going to mention) you should be upset about all displays of sexuality on television. Well, yeah. I haven't heard one person criticize it because it was between men. It was just vulgar and nasty. Could have been with a woman and still have been nasty. In fact, if I'm not mistaken (there is no way in heck I'm watching the performance again to make sure) there was a quite vulgar thing going on between him and a woman in the performance as well. Totally yucked me out on all fronts.

I couldn't care less about him being gay. I do care about performers - gay, straight, or whatever - simulating certain acts and fondling on stage. While singing badly. The kiss? That I didn't really care about. I thought it was mildly gross, but thought the same thing when it was Madonna and Brittney and would think the same if it was a heterosexual couple. Tongue kisses on tv are just not really something I want to see no matter who it's between.

What it comes down to is this for me: This was Adam Lamberts first post-Idol television appearance. He wanted to make a statement and he did so (he calls it a poor judgement call...but I think it's more than that.) He hasn't established himself enough as a performer to even coming close to pulling off something like what he tried to do. I think it tells a lot about what kind of performer he's trying to be and where he'll go from here.

I don't care who you are or how talented you are, keep this stuff in the bedroom. Do you really know a whole lot of people who want to see this crud on tv?

2 comments:

Mama D said...

I agree with you - who cares what lifestyle others choose so long as they don't force it on others and they "keep this [type of] stuff in the bedroom."

I just read an article and saw one picture, and felt no need to see the actual performance. Ugh.

Kristen said...

Ty was changing the channel and said, "Kristen" and I looked over. He changed it quickly and we both looked at each other. I was really glad to hear that so many people were up in arms about it. Because my first comment to Ty was, "This is what our world has come to. They think this is okay." But it sounds like a lot of people didn't think it was okay. That gives me a glimmer of hope. A nurse at the hospital here in Shreveport was talking to us about it. She felt very strongly about it and is boycotting ABC.