It was the best because I was not in charge. Awesome!!
Today was our ward's Primary presentation.
Back when Morgan was in Sunbeams (the youngest Primary class), I was the Primary president -- and thus, on the stand helping all the kids with their parts and paying basically no attention to my own.
A few of those programs went by, and then I was the Primary chorister. Then we moved to Louisiana and the next Primary program I was the pianist, then the chorister again for the last few. So, in all the years that my kids have been in the program, I have had a "job" to do and haven't really been able to just sit there, take it in, and ENJOY!
Instead, today, all of my family went up front to participate...except me. It was a weird feeling kind of. I've done it for so long it's just my nature I guess! D was the pianist today, and the girls did such a fabulous job on their singing and their speaking. All of the kids in the ward did such a fabulous job, I am always so proud of them after the program, even when I'm not "involved".
So, I couldn't see E because she was sitting behind the organ and no matter where I moved on the bench I couldn't see her (except for when she came to the front for her part). I had a good view of M and A though, and they were singing so good and with smiles on their faces. So proud!
At one point, I noticed that A seemed to forget the words to one of the songs. I looked her in the eye and starting singing the song (over-enunciating, hoping she'd be able to lip read and catch up) and them I'm like, "You are a crazy lady!! Why are you singing?"
Chorister in me coming out I guess.
At any rate, I LOVED sitting in the audience and listening to our little children teach us about our eternal families and being "builders" of their homes. Many great lessons in there today, along with the cute moments and beautiful music.
As much as I was ready for a Primary break, I do love working with those kids and seeing how much they learn and grow through these years. I'm proud of each and every one of them, just as I would be if I was their chorister again! Habits are hard to break.
I think the Slidell ward's program was today too, wasn't it? I'd love to hear how it went. Miss those kids!
And finally, speaking of eternal families, I just have to update our adoption conference weekend.
I am in awe of the adoption process, from both sides. As I sat there yesterday and listened to birth moms and adoptive families share their experiences and trials, I couldn't help but think how God must look down on all of these people and just have a bit of that "parental pride" like I had today watching my kids up there on the stand. For the adoptive parents, it is such a hard process, requiring just about everything out of you that you can imagine. And from the birth parent standpoint...wow. What an amazing fortitude and courage to place their child in someone else's arms when they know this adoptive couple will be a better parent than they could be right now. Selfless and inspiring.
As part of the conference, they showed a talk given by "The Locator" Troy Dunn. He used a term, I think it was "doubly answered prayers" to describe the process. A family praying for a child that they cannot themselves bring to earth, and a birth mom praying for a family who is in a better place in life to raise a child.
Hug a birth mom or adoptive family today, and encourage and support adoption when it's the right thing to do. That's my plug for the day. I think I want to go to law school and specialize in adoption law.
Following the conference, we had a long and rainy drive home, almost straight through Pennsylvania and Ohio for 8 hours without stopping. We stopped for food and potties once, and potties once more...other than that a very long drive. Thank goodness it was Saturday night and almost every radio station was playing "Saturday 80's Flashbacks". Priceless. We got home shortly after midnight and my own bed has never felt better.
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I am so excited that you finally got to experience the Primary program from the audience!!
I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip to PA. Doug and your family are able to see the fruits of the efforts to adopt when it is the right thing. Thanks for sharing your insight.
Gotta love watching the Primary Program instead of running it (and tearing out every last hair in the process!).
Adoption is amazing and very brave. I have a good friend who has just gone through that. I love seeing the added joy that little gal has brought to their family.
Post a Comment