One of the things I hated the most about this house when I first saw it was that this overhead cabinet hung in between the kitchen and family room, really dividing it up. I wish I would have gotten a better picture, but here are a few befores of the kitchen/family in general:



Tonight, Doug was putting up some new light fixtures, and I said, "hey, let's take out that stupid overhead cabinet!" I'm so brilliant...and definitely not a contractor, obviously. I read online that I just needed to use a prybar, and I didn't think this section was attached to the other, but I was apparently wrong:

See how the other cupboard is starting to fall too? That's supposed to happen eventually, but not right now! I still need the space! Oops. When this started happening, we madly started unloading the contents of this cupboard and putting them all over the place. Come to find out, it was really just the exterior that was connected. The "core" of the cabinet is still secure. So, it doesn't have a door, but we're leaving it up for now because I need the space (the blue things are paper towels that I laid down because the cabinets were so gross even after washing them, and I didn't want to waste money on shelf liners when I'm just going to tear this all out eventually anyway.)

It's messy now, but it's GONE!

OPENNESS! We still want to get rid of that soffit if we can, but even just getting those cabinets out is a huge improvement!

Look! You can see into the family room now! I'm thinking I really need to paint that mantel more of a cream color. The white is too stark.

I guess you can see what I decided about the walls? I was going to wait until I decorated to post pictures, but you can see that I decided to go with the red. I love it, it turned out great I think. I still need to do the trim, and get rid of the purple countertops so that it doesn't clash so much, but it's going to look good, no?

Finally, which of these things is not like the other? This is what dh got done on the lights tonight. Only one flying saucer light left in the kitchen! The flying saucer is over the table, and we have a Tiffany light with three lamps that hang down to go in that spot. But dh is having trouble with his hand and that one was just too ambitious for now.
1 comment:
Beautimous! I love the red. What's up with Doug's hand? That's not good for a piano man :( So excited for you and your space and peaceful surroundings.
Post a Comment