I mentioned in the 'tearing the kitchen apart' post that Doug is having trouble with his hand.
When he put together the Ikea island almost 2 weeks ago, the next morning he woke up with his hand sore and numb. It wasn't that unexpected considering he had been twisting a little screwdriver for pretty much hours. The soreness went away quickly, but he still hasn't been able to use the hand much. It's pretty much just numb and hanging there. Very little movement.
As Amy said, this isn't good for a guy whose (almost) favorite thing in the world is to play the piano. I told him he'd probably get a calling to play the piano in church and he said he didn't know if he'd even be able to play right now if called. That's bad.
Today he saw a doctor about it. She said that she thinks there is some inflammation that is causing the numbness. She took x-rays and there is nothing there of concern. He's been taking ibuprofen but it's not helping much, so she gave him an rx for a stronger anti-inflammatory. He's supposed to go back in two weeks to see if it's better. If not, he'll see a neurologist or orthopedist, depending on what the doc sees at that point. Here's hoping it gets better soon!
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
As you know, I am not much of a pray-er, but I will be praying about this. I can't imagine anything worse to happen to Doug.
Even though we can't hear him play anymore, it makes me so sad to think of life without his music and your wonderful duets around the holidays. We are praying for full piano recovery over here!
Zack says, "What about all his piano students?" :)
Actually, there really hasn't been any numbness or much pain at all. I can make a fist and squeeze tightly, but can't open and spread out all fingers without using my other hand. I tried playing the piano a few days ago. Left hand did great! I could play the right hand with one finger, though. There is actually music written for LH only...maybe I'll check it out!
I hope Doug's hand will get better soon, that is too bad, it must really be awful to not have much use of the right hand, after all, think of everything we use our right hands for, man Doug, get well soon.....Love you....Mom
Post a Comment