Saturday, April 25, 2009

Adventures in Censusing

This week I should wrap up my census job, fortunately and unfortunately. I really need the time to get some stuff done around here - but the extra money has been really nice.

I've got 20 minutes before my next phase of tiling...of my, these home improvement projects are for the birds. Every spare moment Doug's been home, we've worked on one thing or another. Today we finished up (almost) the tile in one bathroom and the laundry room. We also finished the porch columns. Still lots to do, but it's feeling like progress.

Anyway, thought I'd share some of my census experiences while I wait for my next tiling phase.

I have had very few people be rude to me - only a couple of anti-government wackos. Overall, it's been a lot of fun to get out and visit with people. There have been a few funny things that have happened.

One guy came to the door in his underwear. Now, I may not have minded had it been some sexy boxers or even tightie whities on a good looking guy. But these were the dingiest, grayest, loosy-goosy used-to-be-whitie-tighties I have ever seen. His beer belly hanging over them didn't help. Ew....the image now still makes me want to upchuck.

My favorite experience was last week when I was canvassing a rather poor area, with a big piece of land with random houses and trailers on it. There wasn't even really a road - it looked like people just drove over the grass. Anyway, at the first door, this little boy and girl (must have been about 5 and 2, respectively) saw me and asked what I was doing. I told them, then rang the doorbell, did my business, and got in the car to drive to the next house, which was a ways up the little lane. I got in and drove up, and when I got out, little boy and little girl were running up the lane telling me to wait up, they wanted to help me. I told them that really they should go home, that their mom might worry - and the little boy said, "we always wander around here, she doesn't care." Sad. Anyway, as I went on, driving my car from place to place, cute little boy and cute little girl followed me and then knocked on the doors for me. The last house we came to was their own, and I told their mom that they had been helping. She told them to stay home, but when I went to get in my car to go, there they were following me again. I told them I was done with their neighborhood and they couldn't follow me any more because I was going out onto the busy street. They both looked really bummed that our little adventure was over. Sad thing is, it would have been so easy just to take those kids and their mom probably wouldn't have noticed for hours. They were little cuties though.

One more little story before I go. Yesterday I was canvassing an area which was a pretty nice neighborhood. In my computer was an address that I could see a mailbox for, but no house - just forest. So, I went to the next house, and asked the neighbor about it, and she said that yes, someone does live there but he is a recluse and has let his driveway overgrow. I went back and tried to find the driveway, and indeed I could faintly see something once I knew there was something there. I started to drive up it, it was a very curvy little road and at first it wasn't too overgrown - my car fit through ok and I could faintly see where the driveway once had been. Pretty soon I rounded a corner and I could see an old broken down car and a Winnebago, and a roof. It seriously was so overgrown that I could not even make out the house at all. It had to have been years since anyone drove down that driveway - yeah, I was the smart one. So, I assessed the situation and determined I could not turn around up there at all and I would have to back out - oh the joys. I am not the best backer-upper anyway, but to try to do it when it's a curvy little lane with forest on either side of a very narrow passageway - well, let's just say for a moment I seriously considered calling 911. I would back out a bit and hear the branches scraping against my car, have to pull up a little again, then adjust my angle and try again. It took me about a half hour to back out about 40-50 feet. So sad!! I know that has to be a nice house back there because it's a neighborhood with covenants and all. If there was a medical emergency or something, there is no way anyone would be able to get back there! Anyway, I didn't even want to see what my car looked like when I finally got out - and indeed, it was not pretty. A few new scratches, pine needles and branches stuck everywhere there was a place to rest - and best of all, I had knocked a part off my car. I knocked the other side off last year when I hit a rock in my dad's driveway, and yesterday I knocked off the other side to match!! Funny thing was, I was just thinking of finally repairing the one side, and now the other is out there somewhere on this land where I will probably never find it again. Doug said he might be willing to go back there tomorrow to walk down the lane and see if we can see it. Moral of the story - if you cannot SEE the driveway, do not try to go up it!! Very bad idea.

Wow - only 2 minutes now until I can do my little project and then get my bum in bed. I am soooo tired. Today has been a crazy busy day. Doug is taking M, W, and F off this coming week to help me get some of these things wrapped up - so no let up anytime soon!!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I hope all the projects go well for you. It is too bad that we don't live closer.
I would be scared to do that census. The money would be nice, but I would really want someone to go with me and make sure that I didn't get mugged or something.

Mama D said...

Hooray for progress on all of your projects!

I thought of you on Thurs when a census worker came to our door. I knew you were out there doing the same thing. :)

Amy said...

I'd come and help you but my 4 little ones would mess up as fast as I did :) Rememebr you can drop the girls by anytime, we'd love to play!

Brianne said...

The house with the overgrown driveway and recluse... did this happen to be on Hidden Oaks Lane? My in-laws live next door to an old house that fits your very description, curved driveway, Winnebego, and all. A couple weeks ago, 7 years of curiousity finally made me wander up that driveway to see just what was there. Not too much to behold. Anyway, just wondering if it was the same place.