Thursday, February 19, 2009

Random Things

I was tagged by my sister in law Jen. I've done these before with more than 6, so this 6 random things should be pretty easy, right? I'm supposed to list 6 random things, and tag 6 people.

1. Today is my birthday, if you go by the birth certificate. If you ask my dad, my birthday is actually the 18th. I was born right around midnight - dad swears that I was completely out, he looked at the clock, and it was 11:59. He's probably right, as he pays attention to that kind of stuff! But the certificate says 12:05. Sometimes my dad tells me happy b-day on the 18th, and sometimes just for fun, I celebrate on both days!!

2. I was 28 years old when I had my first child, and as I sat in the hospital bed I realized that my mom had ALL SIX of her kids by that age. I'm kind of glad that I was an older mom though, I think I'm much more calm than I might have been earlier.

3. In a way, I proposed to my husband. We had talked about getting married, and even sort of decided on a date. I was at the temple, and decided to ask at the desk about times available for that day. There were a couple of times left, so I went ahead and booked one, and then told Doug. He said, "So does this mean we're engaged?" Guess so! He officially proposed a couple of days later, on bended knee and after speaking with my dad first.

4. One day at work, a distraught farmer came in and started hollering (I worked at a John Deere dealership). The owner took him outside, and a few minutes later I heard a gunshot and ran out, sure that my boss had been shot. But, the guy had shot himself. He survived (although he didn't look so great when the ambulance took him away.)

5. I always wanted to serve my mission in Switzerland, because that is where much of my family is from. Instead, Doug was called there, and we got home within a few weeks of each other, although we didn't meet until years later. As I thought about that later, I realized that if I would have gone where I really wanted, we either would have had a mission romance (doubtful, since he was not only shy but also pretty strict I'd imagine), or we wouldn't have given each other a second glance. Glad I went to Oregon instead.

6. I always thought that I related a lot more to men than I did to women, and thought for sure I'd be a mom of boys because I "get" them. But God has a great sense of humor and sent me three lovely daughters who perplex me all the time - and in ten years I'm sure they will perplex me even more. My grandma had twin boys after 3 boys - so when I had 3 girls I decided to quit while I was ahead, lest the family curse get me as well. Now that I've been doing it for almost 10 years though, I'm starting to think that having all girls is really cool.

Okay, so now I tag: Amy, Clerissa, Brianne, Julie, Misty, and Cami.

1 comment:

Mama D said...

You have some great stories to tell! I love the proposal. And God certainly does have a sense of humor!