Friday, February 13, 2009

My Eternal Family

Okay, I told my mom I would post this a long time ago, and I'm FINALLY getting around to it.
I am a Primary chorister, and I was asked back in November to teach the new song for 2009, "My Eternal Family" to the stake leaders. This is what I came up with:
1. Introduce the song by asking the children if they have ever built anything: a house of blocks? a model airplane? a sand castle? helped in building a house (a lot of kids in my ward survived Katrina and have indeed helped to build a house!)? Did you know that you can build something much more special than ANY of these other things? You can build a FAMILY!

2. Hand out the parts of the house. Put hard hat and toy hammer on the table for the kids to use as they build.
3. Explain that the first thing any good house needs is a strong foundation. Who thinks they might have the foundation, which says that YOU are a builder? (Have that child come up and "hammer" the magnet to put the foundation on the chalkboard):
4. After we have a strong foundation, we need to put up the frame of the house. The frame holds our walls and our roof up! The frames say, "working each day to build my family". Come up if you think you have one of these parts (have children hammer them on.) Listen as I sing the first part and repeat it (repeat it a few times because you are soon going to cover part of it up!):5. Now we can start putting up our walls! (Sing the parts of the "wall" and have those children come put up their parts): "and I will do the best I can to serve them lovingly." (have children sing this all along the way as you go, whenever you feel like reinforcing it.)6. Now we are going remind ourselves that we are the builders here (I am a builder!-have the children say or sing this again). We need to add some landscaping now. Does anyone have the landscaping? ("Growing so tall and learning every day".) Put these on either side of the house:7. No house is a house without a roof! Come up if you think you have this part! ("to speak with kindness in my home, to help at work and play.)- you can't see it very well but I tried to draw pictures of "speaking with kindness" and "help at work and play" in the windows):8. Now we can make our house look pretty! Should we put some pretty red brick on it? ("My Heavenly Father sent me here"). Aside: I was going to draw another picture of a family inside this window - actually I did originally but I lost it and didn't re-do it because I keep hearing rumors that I'm being released, lol! If I'm still chorister in March I'll make a new one!:
9. "And he knows I can be":
10. "Strong and righteous as I build" (put the door on):
11. "My eternal family" (open the door to show the family inside):In the end, it will look something like this:
For supplies, I just used poster board and construction paper. The "brick" is red wrapping paper.
I am DEFINITELY not an artist. But you know, I learned long ago that the kids just DON'T CARE! It's the idea that sticks with them. Most often, I have my own kids do my artwork for me because I really don't like to do it and don't do a good job.
Anyway, this is just the first verse. We'll see if I have to come up with something for the second or not!
Another aside: I usually don't write out all of the words to a song. I only did it this time because I was teaching it to adults, and in a very short time frame. I would just say maybe use some key words instead of writing out the whole thing, just my opinion.
There you go, mom (my mom is a Primary chorister too!)

4 comments:

Amber said...

thanks a bunch. this is a great idea

Mama D said...

Awesome idea!! This is a great way to teach the song.

Karen said...

This is a really great Idea! Thanks for sharing it. I found it from the yahoo group.
Thanks!

The Kings said...

Thanks for sharing your great idea!