I can't believe it's only January 9th and Doug and I have already been on two dates this month/year!
Of course there was our date last week when Doug's parents were here, and tonight we went to dinner for our anniversary (which is tomorrow). Tomorrow is stake conference so we left the kids with some friends from the ward and celebrated tonight instead.
There is a French restaurant here that we have heard is good but have never tried, La Provence . It's a John Besh restaurant. Doug decided to surprise me by taking me there, so he called me yesterday to ask me out and even worked out the babysitting and all. That was nice.
So, how was the dinner? Well, the appetizer wasn't fantastic. I had the French Onion Soup (it was too salty for me, although the Gruyere was yummy) and Doug had the Buckwheat Crepes with crabmeat and brie. He liked his a lot. Oh, and the bread and butter were good. They had also brought out patte and toasted bread discs. Um, that was yuck for me. Doug liked it. Then again, he's had it before so he knew what to expect. I never have, but I decided to try it since Morgan made a goal to try new foods this year and I thought I should do the same. I wasn't expecting the sourness of it. Something about it bit me back and I just didn't like that.
For the entree, Doug had the tuna fillet with ratatouille and something else that he doesn't remember what it was (some kind of sauce thing). My entree was the roasted pork loin with red cabbage and fingerling potatoes. Okay, the potatoes and the pork were YUM! I could taste a hint of cinnamon in the potatoes and I wasn't expecting that but they were super good.
The cabbage grew on me, but it tasted very much like it had been brined in wine. Probably had.
For dessert we had the pear sorbet which was also very good. Tasted like they had just picked pears, smashed them up, added a little sugar and froze it. It was very fresh and tasty.
So in a nutshell, I'm a whimp when it comes to patte, and the soup was a little too salty. Everything else was fantastic, and the restaurant itself is beautiful. Service was great. It was way too expensive for us to go ever again, but I'm glad we did it.
Funny, I could not remember all the napkin/utensil/plate rules. You can tell I eat at McDonald's way too much.
We decided over dinner that this is enough fine New Orleans dining for us other than we do want to try the Commander's Palace once. Maybe for lunch?? When we went on the Garden District ghost tour last year, our guide told us that for lunch it really isn't too unreasonable. Once we do that, our NO dining experience will feel complete.
Thanks Doug for a great night, and Greg and Sixta for watching the kids for us!
Friday, January 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Happy anniversary! Your anniversary dinner sounds a lot nicer than our boring Olive Garden.
Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner.
For us, the Sat adult session of stake conf constitutes a "date." (Though he carpools to the leadership meetings and later I carpool with the wife, then we can each go home with our spouses!) If you count that, you could have THREE dates this month/year! Wahoo!
Happy Anniversary, sounds like a great date! And you have a birthday coming up too next month. Love your posts.
Post a Comment