What happened on Sept. 11, 2001 almost seems like a dream now, doesn't it? If I hadn't been there to see the enormous hole in the ground where the WTC once stood, I'd hardly believe it had happened.
I've seen lots of people today blogging about where they were that day, and the feelings that they had. As for me, I was home with a brand new baby less than 2 months old. I had slept in until about 9:00, and when I got up and turned on the tv and saw this skyscraper burning, I thought "Oh, how sad" (thinking it was just a building on fire) and turned the channel, only to see the same thing. That's when I started to realize what was going on. I called my grandma and asked her what was happening and she gave me a quick run-down, after which I just sat there stunned and watched tv for about the next 3 days straight!
My first real thought was, "What kind of world have I brought this child into?". It just seemed so unreal that people would be so unbelievably evil and full of hatred that they would do something like this. As I sat and watched all the stories, I was just so sad.
There have been a lot of emotions since then. Still I am flabbergasted that some people are so evil that they think flying planes full of civilians into buildings full of civilians. To prove a point?
In the midst of the horror of it all, there was also gratitude (that as awful as it was, it wasn't as bad as the hijackers had hoped it would be), hope (that despite something so horrible we could unite as a country and grieve together), and pride (that there are still American heroes out there who will fight for us all - including the firemen, policemen, and military).
So we carry on, and every year as 9/11 comes, we honor those who gave their lives not only on that day but throughout history.
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment