


Since I made a post about grandma H, I only thought it was appropriate that I do the same for grandma M. This is a great lady!
She is affectionately known to the grandkids as "the cookie grandma" because she always has the most delicious homemade chocolate chip cookies on hand. She has been making these every week for as long as I can remember - at least 30 years! But the cookies aren't the reason we like to visit her. We visit because she is just a wonderful example of grace and humor, and love. I have looked up to her forever. I remember her and grandpa coming up to one of my "grandparent's days" when I lived in Midway. I was so proud because my grandma was the prettiest one, and she came all the way up the canyon just for my special day.
In their old house, they had a gorgeous yard (grandpa was very into that kind of thing, as our all of his sons now! And grandsons!). They had a rock staircase that they had built down the hillside to the walkout basement. I used to walk up and down that thing pretending I was a princess in a castle. The other hot things to do at their house were going on lawnmower rides with papa, or playing the organ. We lost grandpa 24 years ago, and grandma moved to a condo so she wouldn't have all that yardwork, but I still have very dear memories of their home.
My grandma and I became very close when I went to live with her while I attended BYU. Finances were tight, and she helped me greatly by allowing me to live there. I lived with her for 2 years before my mission, and then for a couple of years afterwards. We were great friends and roommates. She told me and my cousin Jen once that we were like the daughters she never had (she had 5 sons) - we spent a lot of time hanging out there, and it probably felt like we indeed HAD lived there forever! In fact, there were many friends and boyfriends of mine that hung out at grandma's, and not just because of me - but because she is just fun to be around.
Anyway, today we went over and swam again and then snapped some photos. You can tell from the cookie faces that she did have cookies ready today, lol! She will be 86 this fall, and I'm so grateful that she is such a big part of my life.



2 comments:
What a wonderful tribute! Living with your grandma during college gives you a special relationship with her that most grandkids don't have with their grandparents. That's neat.
What sweet memories and a sweet G'maw! You are really having a fulfilling trip! BTW, your hair looks GREAT in the pic!
Post a Comment