The good news is, the floors are in and they look great. The workers did a fantastic job, and they were quick and clean and it's all good.
The bad news is, the floor match is even worse than we thought. We knew we couldn't find an exact match to our existing floors, but we thought we got really close. We brought home many samples and this is the closest we could find.
But when the boxes were opened today we realized that it's really quite different. The wood we put in has more of a red tone, whereas our old wood is more of a yellow tone. I actually like the new one better, but was hoping for a closer match.
We debated whether to put it down or not, but after looking for something that would be closer and deciding it would be difficult, we just put it in. They convinced me that I could make it work, either by laying down a rug right there, or removing a couple of planks and putting in a marble transition piece. My hunch is that we'll just eventually get used to it and it won't bother us.
Anyway, here is the before picture:

And here is the after:


Here is the two-tone problem:
The camera doesn't give the exact true colors, but it's pretty close.You can see that the lightest of the new is about the same color as the old. I think all of the samples they had must have been of this light section.
Hmm...I'm going to have to think on a solution for this one. In the meantime, I'll just say: Yay that the linoleum is gone! We're going to do the tile in the bathrooms probably on the 29th, and then our entire house will be wood and tile. Yippee! I don't miss having carpet at all. When we first saw this house we thought it was so weird to have tile in the bedrooms, but we've actually really liked it, especially in this warm climate where it's not too cold on your feet in the morning.



5 comments:
I like your new floors! I'm sure you'll figure out some way to make it work.
Yummy! I am jealous of the real wood vs laminate that we have - I would love your two tone problem. Are you tiling yourselves or having it done? We are still trying to get painting done so I'll have to put our tiling on hold for a bit :o(
Yeah for your wood floors!!
I think I may have a solution, but I'll have to go shopping tomorrow to see if I can find something that will work. I'm looking for those tiles that look like inlaid wood - if I can find one that is lighter on the outside and darker in the inlay I think that will look pretty! Hmmm...
Amy, yes we are doing our own tiling, but Scott Smith is going to come show us how in exchange for piano lessons - once we know how we'll do the rest ourselves. Wanna do the same thing with the fence?? So many projects, so little time!
Trades are always welcome and Sam LOVES to build. Let me know :o)
I think your solution sounds good Angie. New floors are fun! The only thing I've had to get used to is actually doing MORE vacumming (to avoid dust bunnies!)!! LOL!
Post a Comment