I always thought it would be fun to go to Europe some time for our anniversary. I thought for sure that by 10 years we would be able to save enough money. But then, life happens and saving does not, and we will be lucky if we get there by 20. So....
I planned a little international getaway anyway.
Forget that it was only 30 miles away, and overnight. It was Canada, and it counts!
Actually, it was a really fun day. A cold, gray, and snowy, fun day.
We started off seeing this:
It was really, really interesting. It was also on a Saturday afternoon and very, very busy. There were people who hadn't got their tickets ahead of time and were complaining that they wouldn't let them in - but let me tell you, they really could not have squeezed another person in there. So, if you get a chance to go, do it. But get your tickets ahead of time.
Then, we checked out this place my friend had told me about:
Very yummy. Dee had a crepe with spinach, bacon, and some yummy cheese I cannot remember the name of. I, of course, went with a sweet crepe with cinnamon, sugar, and butter.
There was quite a long wait, so during that time is when I told Dee that we were going international for the night.
His first question? "What about the kids?"
My answer? "They are old enough to stay alone. They'll be fine."
His response? "No they won't. Are you serious?"
Really, does he think I would leave my kids overnight?
It has taken him 14 years to realize that I am a plan-aheader, and yes, I did have a plan for the children overnight.
Sheesh.
After our crepes, as we headed towards Canada, I realized that there is so much about Detroit that I have yet to visit. We have lived here 2-1/2 years and I think I've been downtown 2 or 3 times. By a year in New Orleans, I felt like I knew all the cool places to go and things to do. I am either really busy, really lame, or there just isn't anything fun about Detroit. I think it's probably a combo of busy and lame, because it looks like there are definitely some things worth checking out in the big D.
Our hotel was great. Believe it or not (I know, hard to believe) I cannot find the cord to upload the pics I took! But here is a good representation of what it looked like from our room:
It was a gorgeous view. Someday when I find that cord you can see for yourself.
We had dinner at a Chinese place that had been well rated on the internet:
The food was good (I've had better...definitely had worse too). The service was fantastic. It was a really good place for the budget-conscious. Very fair prices, good food, and great service. Can't ask for more.
We drove back to the hotel along Riverside Drive, which gives a nice view of the city all the way. By this time it had stopped snowing and was very beautiful and peaceful.
It was good to have a few quiet hours to catch up with each other. Sometimes it seems like we are going in a million different directions and (I know it sounds trite) are like ships crossing in the night.
The next morning we were home in time for herding children (who survived the night!) into the shower in time for choir practice and church. And then, back to the routine.
Ah, it was good while it lasted though.



No comments:
Post a Comment