Friday, June 10, 2011

Bad school mom

I am kind of over blogging right now. Not only updating my own, but reading other people's. So I will just say that the only reason I am updating this at all is because my mom wants me to and I think she is probably the only one still reading it.

The school year is almost over and I can now truly say this was absolutely the worst school year I have had as a mom. I have done NOTHING to contribute to my children's schools this year, and I do feel kind of bad about it. I think the most I have done is occasionally reminded my kids to do their homework (thank goodness they are self-motivated children) and maybe helped them find a pencil.

This is so out of character for me, as I am usually the one to sign up/lead everything and end up over my head. I always have a PTA assignment or I'm room mom, or I volunteer in the class every week - and I always try to go on every field trip too. This year I went on one! I spent almost zilch time in the classroom, never showed my face at PTA. I did sign up to do art mom again, but no one ever called me to coordinate it, and I just let it go. I didn't even send anything in for teacher appreciation week. Then again, I didn't even bother to check to see when teacher appreciation week was. I am awful.

So what is my problem? And do I care to fix it?

First, yeah, I do care. I will try to do better next year.

Granted, I have been a lot busier this school year than ever before - mostly with work. The last couple of months I've worked 50-60 hours a week. No time for field trips or volunteering in there! My church calling is also really time consuming sometimes.

Then I think I just get overwhelmed with the sheer amount of (pardon my vulgarity) crap that comes home. I don't have time to look at it all. So rather than really sorting through things I just kind of chuck it all lately. Unless it needs a signature. Then I try to read it.

I got off on the wrong foot with Pippy's teacher, when she asked for us to write an assessment about our child with their strengths and weaknesses, which I did (see, I did do SOMETHING!) and she turned around after having known my kid for a couple of weeks and told me my assessment was wrong and that she thought my child was "depressed". That was just the wrong thing to say to me. Pippy is by no means depressed - and having dealt with depression and living with a social worker, I think I would know. It just kind of turned me off to her for the rest of the year and since then I've just tried to get by without strangling the woman...who also seems to be absent about twice a week.

Lou has had a fabulous teacher and a student teacher too...so I guess I justified myself there by saying they could handle it without my help and volunteering spirit (justification speaking...).

Sis, of course being in middle school is kind of different. She pretty much takes care of herself and I write the checks and send in treats for the bake sales. Ha.

Reading logs? I hate them. Hate them. It takes all the joy out of reading, in my opinion. Sometimes my kids fill theirs out anyway, sometimes they don't. I really don't care to be honest. I know my kids read. They have 30 minutes every night set aside for reading. I'd love to just have them read for that 30 minutes instead of reading for 25 and then spending 5 minutes looking for a pencil to write down what they just read and how many pages it has and blah blah blah. I know it's important for kids to read, and some people do need to write it down to make sure it gets done, but I just don't.

Speaking of which - my final thought. I just finished the book "Freakonomics" which is actually very interesting. According to that book, none of this really matters anyway. Taking your kids to museums, teaching them to read at age 3, reading to them every day - none of that is correlated at all with test scores or success in life. What really matters is socioeconomic status, intelligence of the parents, how many books are in the home (whether anyone reads them or not!), birth weight of the child, and how old the mother was when she had the child. Who knew? So all those things already have been determined for my children, and overall they got the good end of things as far as all those categories go. And we do have a TON of books in our house.

And they read them. They just might not write it on their reading log.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I read your blog as often as I can.

I'm sorry about the yucky teacher. Christopher had a yucky one his 2nd grade year. It was a horrible year for him and for me. We still talk about it. You never forget that teacher who doesn't like you or doesn't like your kid.

I'm sorry about your bad school mom year. I've been a bad school mom for several years. The year that Emily was in 3rd, Christopher in 1st and Calvin in preschool, I volunteered for everything. I was Emily and Christopher's room mom. I had a huge job at the co-op preschool where Calvin went. I was art mom. I was Jr. Great Books mom. I did a TON of crap. And I had Spencer who was 2. I had a miscarriage in the middle of the school year and didn't tell anyone. I was so depressed and I just couldn't do the work anymore. I tried to do my best but I stunk up the end of the year with lame parties and missing Jr. Great books meetings. I think I still might have unreturned artmom stuff. J/K. The next year, I volunteered for NOTHING. I couldn't do it anymore. Slowly, I have brought myself to a more reasonable level. I volunteer in the classroom once a year and for one field trip per kid per year. That's still alot for me! Especially with the babies.

I hate all the paper that comes home. It makes me CRAZY. I don't have a good system for it. I do have an app on my phone that scans paper and I am trying to scan the papers as they come home and labeling them for further reference because i forget EVERYTHING. Like right now I am forgetting that I need to send a plain white t-shirt with Spencer for monday and Emily needs various art supplies including (her words) grass, seeds, clay, paint and other "farmish" stuff. WHAT?!

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SCHOOL TO BE OUT!!

Marcy said...

I agree with you all the way. I HATE making my child log every min that he reads, and it makes him not want to read as much. Reading logs are for the birds!!!!
don't stop blogging I read yours faithfully and really enjoy it!
I agree with all the junk notes and such. In fact my kids bring home so much "STUFF" that I just take a picture of their favorites and then tell them to mail the rest to their grandparents!

Mama D said...

I faithfully read your blog, too.

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only bad school mom out there! I have done far less to help at the school since I went back to work part-time. I just can't do it all, regardless of how much I want to. I am learning to cut myself some slack and to do the things that are most important.

Don't be too hard on yourself, Angie. I think you're doing a phenomenal job with everything you have going on!

Angie said...

Thanks ladies. I read (and enjoy) your blogs too. I'm just not in to the NieNies and the cJanes and the MormonMommas like I once was. I guess I have too much going on in my own life right now to pontificate on deep subjects or worry about people who I don't know in real life. You ladies all amaze me...and if you knew each other you would amaze each other as well! :-)

grammy said...

Me too, I just hate all the stuff the kids bring home from school, and where do you put every single art project???It's all just too much......WAIT.....no one is bringing papers home any more, because everyone is out of the nest, Yes it will all pass on and before you know it you too will be looking back and saying Hey I remember when, but it just dosen't help right now, well you are a good mom, don't let it get to you, the girls love their parents, they think you guys are cool...YEA!!!...too bad I didn't meet up with the teacher who forgets to show up,well she is now out of your hair, thank goodness, talk to people to find out who is great for next year and demand that Pippa, has that teacher, she deserves it right?, and so do her parents, because I think you guys are cool too!!....Oh by the way, I love reading your blog, I only have two to read, yours and Amy's, so keep us up on you guys, we care. Oh boy what a rant!!!, be glad I'm not your mother-in-law...Oh wait!......Haaaa...Love you Angie!