Sunday, August 22, 2010

Summer, where art thou?

My mom reminds me that I have not blogged in awhile. When this lapse occurs, she thinks I have sunk into a depression or something, so she worries. So here I am. No, not depressed mom. Just not a lot going on!

Summer is almost over. Two more weeks until school starts! In some ways this has seemed like a really long summer (although in actuality last summer was much longer for us as we got out of school in mid-May in Louisiana and didn't start until after Labor Day here.) We haven't really gone anywhere, which is probably why it seems long. Every other summer we've traveled. Money money money...must be funny...in a rich man's world!

The kids aren't involved in any organized activity this summer other than piano lessons and church activities. Other than that we've done craft projects, gone to the library and park, movies...basic summer fare. As for me, I'm still working 2 days a week and working on my class (ugh, will this thing EVER end?) Dee has traveled some with work. And that is our summer!

So I will blog about my hair cut.

I have had short hair on several occasions in the past and always liked it, so I've been thinking of going short again. A few months ago I went to a lady I was referred to (I did really like her, other than what I'm about to write), and she talked me out of a short cut. But I've been thinking on it and decided that yes I really did want to do it - I mean, I pull my hair up almost every day anyway. Why have long hair if you just pull it up all the time?

So, I asked another lady in the ward who I always think has cute hair, and I got a referral to another guy.

This was quite the experience. I'll just call it my Edward Scissorhands cut. After visiting with me about what I wanted done (I had taken in a couple of pictures and he said, '"no, that won't look good, this would honestly look better"...and proceeded to show me a picture of a woman with very wild hair.) I could see what he was talking about with the cut though, even though I wasn't planning to stick my hair straight up in huge chunks, or put streaks of hot pink in it. Yes, I could see his vision.

So, after a quick wash, he went to chopping off my hair. And I do mean chopping. Weirdest thing ever. Scissors and hair flying everywhere. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to what he was doing and I thought there was no way it would work out. There were also a few times I seriously thought I was about to lose an eye or ear, but I made it out intact.

Then he started blow drying it, and he'd blow dry, then cut, blow dry, then cut. It was like if he didn't like a piece he'd just get rid of it. Again, no rhyme or reason. No carefully combing the hair and cutting in a straight line. When he was finished styling it, I was like "YES! This is what I've been looking for. This is me!"

When I got home, I went into the bathroom and checked different parts of the hair and miraculously they were indeed the same length as their opposing side. Amazing. I have no idea how he did that but he is a miracle worker as far as I'm concerned.

I cannot afford to go to him every time (um, we aren't going to post what it cost!) but maybe if I can go a few times a year he can keep me looking decent. Oh, so he also asked if I wanted to schedule a color appointment. Um, no, with a cut that costs what this did I think I'll stick to Nice N' Easy.

Yesterday when I tried to style it myself I didn't have much success. I think I used too much product. Today was a little better. Hopefully within a few weeks I'll have it down. Overall, a huge improvement.

And that's my summer.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Glad to hear your not depressed. Love the new haircut. I sometimes think of doing the chop chop. Hope your doing well!

Amy said...

It looks adorable, even if you had to suffer a mild anxiety attack while he was chopping away :) Glad you are intact and that your hair looks so amazing!

Missing you.

Brianne said...

Your hair looks great! It really brings out your eyes, or maybe that was your shirt. Either way, you look fantastic!

Bonnie said...

The haircut looks great. Hair is just one of those things that you hate to pay for no matter what it costs.