Sunday, April 11, 2010

Toronto, Day 2 - Royal Ontario Museum

This has nothing to do with our last day on the trip, but I just have to say - I love the city. I could totally live in a big city. Not when I have kids in school, but once they are raised I would love to go live in an apartment somewhere in a bustling city. I feel energized there. Did you know that Toronto is the 5th largest city in North America? I didn't. 1) Mexico City 2) New York City 3) Los Angeles 4) Chicago 5) Toronto. So, there you go, you learned something new today. Oh, and 25% of Canada's population lives with 100 miles of Toronto. Now you've learned 2 new things. Anyway, on Friday night, the girls and I were just enjoying having the window open and looking out at the city, the different people in their apartments, people walking around. It's fun. Okay, on with the last day of our trip. We decided to check out the Royal Ontario Museum.

After parking in the wrong parking garage and thus being a bit disoriented, a nice lady helped us find our way here:

They were having a great deal on membership. We got a one year (actually almost 14 months) membership for less than it would cost us for just yesterday's visit. Who knows? Maybe we will go back in the next year? If not, it is reciprocal at other museums in Canada. We might check a few of them out.
We started out with the family tour, a nice lady showed us around to a few exhibits - ancient Japan and China (very cool), and dinosaurs of course. They have a bat cave exhibit right now that was pretty fun. I'm not posting pics of anything other than the favorite thing that the kids saw - a real Egyptian mummy.

The kids were having so much fun digging for bones, they almost didn't see the dinosaur sneak right up behind them!

Finally, the ceiling, which I thought was very cool. I don't know if you can read it, but in the middle it says, "That all men may know his work."
We left Toronto yesterday afternoon, had a late lunch at a crazy-busy Costco (not sure how that evolved...oh yeah, we were looking for a gas station, saw the Costco off the highway, tried to stop there for gas, but they didn't have gas, but they did have food....) A nice little drive and we were back home after a fun little getaway. We will definitely be going back someday, Canada was very nice to us!

1 comment:

Mama D said...

What a fun trip! Thanks for sharing the details and pictures.