This is my dad and Pippy, standing in grandpa's garden last summer.A few years ago, my parents took out a chunk of their grass and put in some fabulous square foot gardens. They always have delicious fresh food when we visit, and they look cool too! I have wanted to try it for awhile, but our yard in Louisiana was not conducive to it at all - but here, we have the space, the sunlight, and the desire, and we're gonna do it!
Dee will help me build the boxes, and Sis, Lou, and I are going to plan, plant, and maintain the gardens as part of our Faith in God and Personal Progress goals.
I ordered a book about square foot gardening, and a book about Michigan gardening...and we are off!!
According to the book, if I planted 11 4 x 4 gardens (176 sq feet total) I would have enough produce to give everyone in my family a salad and their dinner veggies every day during the summer, plus enough to preserve for the rest of the year. We aren't going to be quite that ambitious this year, but we are excited to try a few and see how it goes. We are also going to start our own composting. I remember my grandparents doing that when I was a kid, and they had the most beautiful yard and gardens.
I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.



No comments:
Post a Comment