Wednesday, February 10, 2010

New Orleans Reminiscing

I was so happy for my New Orleans friends when the Saints won the Super Bowl the other night. The city of New Orleans has waited for this for so long, and they are passionate about their team. Well, they are passionate about everything - the only place I know that parties at funerals. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss it just a teensy bit. While there were things about it that made me crazy, these are some things that I miss:
The one snowstorm we got when we lived there. This was about the extent of it. I spent half the morning digging out of our driveway this morning, and the kids are home on a snow day. Can't say I wouldn't love a Louisiana winter back!


Carnival Season, in full swing right now. This is last year at one of the parades. The top picture is A yelling "Throw me something Mister!" from D's shoulders, and the second picture is of me, M, and E with some friends at the parade. Fun times!

Beignets at Cafe DuMonde in the French Quarter. Can almost taste them now!


The Garden District

And finally, king cake!! I attempted to make one, and this is it. Actually, I made two - one cinnamon and one cream cheese. This is the cream cheese. It looked the best, and tasted the best too! I made them for the refreshment at YW last week. I think they were a hit - everyone said they tasted good, and someone was surprised to find a little something extra in her piece! A few days later I tried it again for the missionaries, and decided that I had a bit of beginner's luck on my first try. The second ones just weren't as pretty.
Mardi Gras is next Tuesday, and I can imagine it will be a party like no other year after this Saints victory. I am happy to be where I am, but when I get a chance to go back to New Orleans to visit, February sounds like a great time!!!

2 comments:

granny said...

I'm glad the Saints won. I was surprised when I visited you there in Louisiana that I had a great time. In my mind I had always pictured it as a sinful dump of a place, but it was really fun. I was actually planning on making Edna or Elaine go back with me in February of some year. Edna would go wild there! (Edna would go wild anywhere, but she'd love Mardi Gras) Of course, my favorite thing about Louisiana? The Swamps! Glad to see a new post - finally.

Mama D said...

We are a Colts-loving family. That was not a happy day for us. However, if any other team had been playing, I would have been cheering for the Saints - what an inspirational story of determination and optimism!

I'm glad you have such great memories of New Orleans!