Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Our new addition

And you didn't even know we were expecting, did you?

Well, it's a girl!

A girl beagle, that is.

Meet.....DAISY!!






Isn't she sweet? She looks kinda scared in this picture, but she really isn't.

D thought he needed one more woman in the house. Imagine in 7 years when he has three teenage daughters, a wife, AND a female dog. You can see he's resting up for it now.

This was when we first got her home. Of course the girls had to run right over and get the neighbor to show her. They were trying to get Daisy settled down for a picture, not very successfully (this was the best attempt out of about 20.)
Here are Daisy's stats:
Name: Daisy (yes, this was her name given by the previous owner, but so far we like it and are sticking with it.)
Age: 4
Breed: Beagle
Weight: Approximately 35 pounds
Disposition: Super sweet
Training: Supposedly crate trained, house trained, knows some commands. In reality? Why do you think I'm up posting this at 1:00 a.m.? The whining from the "crate training" makes it hard to sleep. She loves her crate, just not with the door closed. I'm gonna try to get her to go to sleep, and then sneak away and leave the door open and we'll see how that goes. House trained? So far, so good. Commands? LOL, nothing there yet. We'll keep trying, she's kind of excited right now to be with her new family and doesn't want to show us how smart she is yet.
We found Daisy at the animal shelter. Her owner surrendered her because she could no longer afford maintenance on a pet. Sounds like she was well loved and cared for, though. We found Daisy online and wanted to check her out because she looked so sweet...but our first time at the shelter she wasn't there. She had kennel cough and had to go to foster care for a few weeks. In the meantime, we looked at a lot of other dogs, but nothing really clicked until they finally called us today to let us know that Daisy was back from foster care and we could come see her.
Apparently, her foster mom was very attached to her and had a hard time bringing her back (10 days later than she was supposed to) and cried when she left her. I can see why, Daisy is a really sweet dog. And I can hear her heavy breathing now, so I'm gonna try to sneak away to bed. Wish me luck.


4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Congratulations! She is super cute!

grammy said...

mmmmm

grammy said...

Wow, I usually have to sign in every time I comment on your blog. This is so exciting, I'm sure you will get all kid of advise, but just one, YOU be the alpha dog around her. Only you give her the commands, and discipline, let her really bond to you Angie and in a few weeks she will really start to bond with everyone else. I know this sounds weird, but it really worked for us with Rosie. Always praise and treat good things. When Rosie was first with us and she had her potty problems, I used a very different voice with her, so she would know it was wrong, I only use that voice when she does something really bad, and boy she knows it. Just love, love, love her to do good things. So glad you found your pound dog, she looks really fun.

Mililani said...

I'm glad you have a Rescue dog. I love your Daisy.....She sounds like she is missing her previous owner. And three homes in a short time, that is a real adjustment. I am a huge Cesar Milan fan. Give her lots of TLC...I would have her sleep on my bed if I had her. :-)