Thursday, December 24, 2009

Well...we tried to make it a holiday!

Christmas Eve, I love. Christmas Day? Eh...time to sleep.

We started our Christmas Eve with D working for a few hours and myself doing laundry. When D got home, we went to a movie, "The Princess and the Frog." It was awesome. Made me want to go on vacation to New Orleans. New Orleans is a fantastic place...to visit.

Got home, started to get going on Christmas Eve dinner, and put in a movie. Wasn't too long before D's cell phone rang, and I heard, "Can you give me a little more information about the baby?"...and I knew. There goes Christmas Eve!

Baby born yesterday. Mom decided to place today. Baby will be released tomorrow. D needs to find a family fast. It will be a wonderful Christmas present for someone who has been waiting for their baby, but it does slightly mess up my Christmas Eve plans. Especially D making his fantastic Gruyere potatoes...that job will fall to me this year instead.

I'm hoping he'll make it back home in time for a (few hours later than we'd planned) Christmas Eve dinner with his family. The life of an adoption counselor! It's not the first year this has happened, although other years we did have a clue that there was a mom expecting and could plan accordingly - this one was totally unforeseen.

Then D just called to say he forgot his wallet and doesn't know how he's going to pay for parking. Ah...Christmas joy!

3 comments:

grammy said...

Doug please write this all down and send it to me or e-mail and I can print it off, this is a true Christmas Story, what a beautiful thing for you to be a part of, Merry Christmas to you all, Thanks so much for the card, and those potatoes soung so good, haven't had those for a long time.

Love Mom

McQuivey Family said...

I think that is the best Christmas Eve ever...for that family. Does that really happen; I guess so. Merry Christmas.

Doug Gardner said...

Actually, baby was born at 1:15 pm on the 24th and hospital called around 3:30 pm. I was at the hospital from about 4-8. They were quite busy with many Christmas babies! (I wonder what was going on 9 months earlier that lead to so love in the air?)