Saturday when E and I got back from cello, M and A excitedly greeted us at the door to say there was an animal living in our yard and it was REALLY BIG! They were so excited to have a new pet. I watched for a day or two but never saw anything except this:
I asked our neighbors if they've had a problem with them, and they said no...guess I'm the lucky one!
I know it's not a very good shot but I had to do it through the window because I was afraid if I went outside he'd just run right back in there and I'd not see him again. They stay very close to their burrows and go right back in (they are fast!) if they hear a noise.

Yesterday I happened to be walking by the family room door and saw the little monster sitting out on the grass chewing on some leaves and dropped apples from the neighbor's tree. I was pretty sure it was a woodchuck. I grabbed the camera, but the battery was dead, and within a few seconds he had run back under the deck anyway.
So I googled "woodchuck" and saw a picture of my little friend staring back at me. They are also known as groundhogs or "whistle-pigs" (for a noise they supposedly make when in distress). And...they are NOT a good thing to have in your yard. First of all, as I looked around the internet, there were horror stories of people who had lost their entire gardens to these beasts, after trying one method after another to get rid of them to no avail. It seemed like what worked for one person did not work for another. In addition, if they burrow near your house (like under your deck!) they can undermine your foundation. They also have multiple entrances and exits (although I've only found this one so far). This hole was not there the last time we mowed the lawn (a few weeks ago), and no one had spotted him until now, so I think he's a recent resident. Last but not least, they can be rabid...although that's rare and this one isn't. I think.
I asked our neighbors if they've had a problem with them, and they said no...guess I'm the lucky one!
Just a few minutes ago, I caught him outside of his den again and snapped this quick photo:
I know it's not a very good shot but I had to do it through the window because I was afraid if I went outside he'd just run right back in there and I'd not see him again. They stay very close to their burrows and go right back in (they are fast!) if they hear a noise.So, as I looked at people's opinions on how to get rid of them, it seems like the thing that worked the most often was a dog. There are also poisons (but I don't want him to go and die-and STINK- right under my deck!). I guess I could invest in a trap and then take him out into the country and release him - but I really don't want to spend money on this stupid thing (animal control charges you also, in case you were wondering). I'm going to try to get him sometime when he's out of his burrow and then block off the entrance. If I can't catch him, at least I could fill in that hole, right? And then maybe we'll bump up our dog adventure. We had really been considering a dog for Christmas. Maybe November is a good time instead.
If anyone has had success getting rid of these critters in the past, I'd love your ideas.




2 comments:
The pellet gun always works for me and if that fails pull out your 22. What is better than a little target practice? I did beat one prairie dog to death with a shovel when he snuck into my garage in Vernal. Good times.
I had Voles in our last house over by the river. I went to IFA and bought some poison pellet stuff to kill them off and I put it in their holes. I never saw them or their holes again and I never did smell anything.
Post a Comment