Saturday, November 21, 2009

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

So, I went to see this show tonight, because there were a couple of girls from our ward involved with it (one as an actress and the other in costumes - they both did a fabulous job).

It is very, very funny. Also highly inappropriate in some places, mostly do to one running joke about adolescent boys and what...um...happens to them when they get excited. Having grown up with brothers, I did find that funny and found myself laughing when I probably shouldn't have, and M didn't really get it, so that was good.

Again, very talented kids. I am always amazed at the talent of people who can get up in front of a bunch of people and do some of the things they do.

This was the funny thing: As part of this show, they have 4 audience members participate in the spelling bee. One of them was our stake president. I'm sure his daughter the costume lady had something to do with him getting up there! He was very funny, and a pretty good speller too!

It was fun. Can't say I'd recommend the show due to some it's naughty nature, but I did think it did a good job of telling the stories of kids as they try to find out who they are - the one who is expected to be perfect at everything, the boy discovering girls, the kid with "stage parents" who try to sabotage the contest in their child's favor, and saddest of all the kid with parents who aren't there for her. It was kind of sweet and sad in a way.

No comments: