Sunday, September 6, 2009

I found music teachers!

Keep forgetting to post that I am slowly finding music teachers. All three girls are going to take piano from a lady in our ward who lives just up the street. She's a very competent pianist and a former elementary school teacher, so I think she's going to be the perfect fit. We've tried to make the "dad as teacher" thing work, but it just hasn't been consistent. They are at an age where they really need to keep at it on a consistent basis if they are going to learn. So, they start a week from tomorrow and I'm very excited about that!

Strings have been harder to find. There is a lady in our ward who teaches violin but she is full...but her sister might teach viola and violin so we'll see if I can get Morgan and Ashlyn interested in that. Morgan says she's not interested in viola anymore...but that just makes me sad so I hope I can help her rekindle it. We watched a video last week of her playing "Ashoken Farewell", and it was so pretty. I'd really like her to keep it up. We'll see.

Elise, on the other hand, still has a lot of passion for and interest in cello. Cello teachers are generally harder to find and more expensive, but the violin teacher in the ward gave me a great suggestion and it looks like it's going to work out: a girl from a neighboring ward is on scholarship at Wayne State studying cello performance. We are still trying to work out the scheduling, but this teacher seems like the perfect fit for Elise. So it looks like at least piano and cello are covered...we'll see if the others work out.

No comments: