Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Awards Night

Tonight was an award's night at Morgan's school. She won a citizenship award for her class for 2nd term.
We had no idea how many kids were going to be there - 2 kids from each class got these awards (and it's a big school), and they also awarded the Reflections awards (66 of those!) tonight. So, needless to say, we arrived 5 minutes early and found ourselves in a very crowded cafeteria.
This picture is of about half of the 4th graders that got the award for their classes. If you look VERY closely, you can see Morgan right next to the podium.
Obviously the one at the school wasn't a very good pic, so we took this one when she was home in her jammies.
It was also fun to see how they did the Reflections contest at this school, since I do it at Elise's school. Morgan definitely needs to enter that contest next year. She wanted to this year but I somehow missed the deadline.
So, I should say a little about why she got this award. Morgan is just such an awesome student and a great all-around girl. She takes total responsibility for everything she does. I never have to ask her to do anything, she just takes care of what she needs to and brings home the A's. She's very helpful to her teachers and to other students in the class, and sets a good example for others.
A month or so ago I had a really good talk with her teacher after there was a little playground incident where Morgan stood up to some kids that were swearing. Her teacher told me, "The world needs more kids like Morgan. I'm really proud of her"...and her mom and dad feel the same. If every kid were like her, parenting would be easy.
On that note....there were refreshments afterwards and the line was super long. I had no desire to wait in line that long for oreos and punch (which I can't eat anyway because I'm doing the wellness program), so I told the kids we were going and they could have ice cream at home. It was already after 7:00, bedtime is at 8:30, and there was still homework, practicing, baths, etc. and Doug won't be home until at least midnight tonight. So, despite the whining to stay, I held my ground and we got out of there.
As we left, one of my children, who shall remain nameless but who is severely trying my patience at the moment (let's just say the terrible two's have nothing on the furious five's), told me that I was "the worst mom in the world" and possibly the "worst mom ever".
Tonight she told me that she knows I hate her (this was after the hour-long go to bed fight) and that she hates me too.
Oh, the joys of motherhood. This one is a challenge.
So, no mother of the year awards for me tonight. But way to go Morgan, you are awesome!
You win some, you lose some.





4 comments:

Brianne said...

Ah, yes, I can remember telling my mother those same exact words when I was younger. But now she is one of my best friends, if not my bestest best friend. So that is what you can to look forward to!

McQuivey said...

Congratulations Morgan, what an honor!!

We have our own little dose of those furious fives at our house too!

Mama D said...

Ah, the joys and frustrations of motherhood!! You did well, despite what your 5 year old said. Congrats, Morgan!

Bonnie said...

Congratulations Morgan. Sometimes we have those proud moments--we need to relish them because then there can be some not so proud moments too.