Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sunday, Blessed? Sunday

I usually really enjoy Sundays. Today was kind of crazy, though.

When Morgan was less than a year old, Doug was called into the bishopric for the first time. Everyone would say to me, "how are you going to do this with a baby?"...and it was a piece of cake! One good little baby is nothing compared to the three little fighting monsters I had in church today. You'd think by this time they would be used to the routine, but oh no. Today Ashlyn decided to get out the stuffed jellyfish (how did they get in the church bag anyway?) and that caused a fight because the other girls wanted them too. Then Ashlyn got out her Disney Princess cell phone (again, how did that get in the church bag??) and set off Disney princess singing during the Sacrament. One of those days when I really just wanted to crawl out of the chapel and not come back.

Then, I could not get my junior Primary kids to sing! They were being silly, singing the wrong words, etc. But when it came to actually learning a real song (that we have to perform in two weeks, by the way!) they were just totally uninterested. Couldn't get much out of them at all.

Senior primary, on the other hand, was fantastic. They are such beautiful singers, and I'm very proud of them. At this point I think they are going to be doing the Christmas thing without the little ones. I don't know what else to do. I think the song must just be way over the little one's heads. I think what I'll do is have them sing a different (easier) song and just have it be two totally separate things. The song I had picked is just not working out for them at all.

Then, home for a quick lunch, and back for choir practice. Then more music practice (for a special Christmas fireside for the stake next week). Home for a quick dinner, and back for the Christmas devotional (which was great and relaxing, by the way). By the time I got home tonight, I just didn't feel like doing much else.

December is so busy from a church standpoint. There are parties, a ton of musical things going on (which we enjoy doing but which also take a lot of time)...and on top of that - tithing settlement. What? Why does it have to be in December? January makes much more sense to me. Then you could actually say, Yes, I paid my tithing last year. In December, you still have almost 10% of your income that will still be coming in, no?

A friend has been trying to schedule a time to do a presentation for us, and looking at the calendar I just laugh because we literally do not have a time when Doug and I are together for more than an hour until the week of Christmas. Guess that presentation (but not tithing settlement) will wait until January!

2 comments:

Ann said...

Did you mean to echo a U2 anthem with your title?

"I can't believe the news today.
Oh I can't close my eyes and make it go away..."

Mama D said...

Boy, you had one busy day! I had one too, but at least my kids behaved better in church. lol

Hope you enjoy this holiday season, even with all the activities. And capture every hour you can with your hubby!