As 2008 ends, I've been thinking about things I'd like to accomplish in 2009. So, here's my challenge to everyone who reads this: Come up with 9 things that you would like to do in 2009. They can be big things, small things; frivolous, fun, or serious things. Just things that when you read this a year from now you can say, "I did that, and I'm glad I did!". Here are my nine:
1. Memorize a classical piano piece. -This is something in all my years of playing I don't think I've ever done. I'm going to have Doug help me find one that I know is realistic and I'm going to learn it. Well enough to perform it. Not that I will perform it, I just want to do it.
2. Find a new physical hobby - Instead of saying I'd like to lose weight, I want to find something that I really enjoy doing that helps me accomplish that goal but doesn't feel like work. I want it to be fun - and something that I can do for years to come. I'm thinking of bike riding or dancing - both things I've done in the past but haven't kept up with.
3. Write an article every month - Almost a year ago, I was asked to write for Mormon Momma, but I'm probably averaging an article every 2-3 months. Since I committed to do one a month, that's what I need to do in 2009!
4. Find the right grad school and program for me and at least start taking steps toward it - like taking the GRE, etc.
5. Keep up with my kids on strings - right now I can play as well as they do because I go to all the lessons. But soon they will pass me up, so I'm challenging myself to keep with them, at least for this year. After that, I hope they are so accomplished that they leave me in the dust. But if I stay with them this year, that will at least give me passable knowledge on the violin, viola, and cello.
6. Try a new recipe every week - I have collected a TON of recipes that everyone says are delicous, and yet they sit. So I'm going to make it a goal to pull one out every week and try it. If I like it, I'll add it to the permanent collection. If not, trash it (finally get it out of "the stack").
7. Finish my French course - Several years ago, I purchased the Pimsleur Language program for French. This was in anticipation of going to Europe for my 10th anniversary, and I wanted to have at least basic French knowledge to somewhat understand my brainiac husband when he communicates in this language that he loves. Time and effort got in the way of the program, and money got in the way of the trip -but I'd like to finish the course and take the trip for the 15th anniversary, maybe?
8. Go on a date once a month - Now, I know most of you are saying that really you should do this once a week (and why haven't we been doing this already?), but let me tell you that once a month will be a major accomplishment for us and not an easy thing for us to do at all. In fact, this will probably be the hardest of all the things I want to do in '09. That's because Doug has the craziest schedule around, and finding a babysitter is a PAIN! If we can meet up for at least a couple of hours a month, and find a babysitter who can do the same, it will be a MAJOR accomplishment for us.
9. Get the right cord and learn how to upload video onto my blog. Our camera should have come with one, but I can't find it. So I need to go get one and then figure it out. We've been taking a lot of video but never showing it. Oh, and I'd like to learn cute things to do with my blog.
See, that wasn't so hard, was it? Now it's your turn! I look forward to reading!
Sunday, December 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
You've got a babysitter right here!!! I would love to come over and babysit for you! If you just let me know a week in advance (because I work on Fridays and Saturdays 'til 9 pm), I can do it. And, of course, I would probably have to bring Claire with me, but I'm pretty sure your girls would love that.
Great idea! You could change this a bit and post it at MM. (Alison doesn't like double posts at multiple blogs.)
I wonder if 9 specific things would be too overwhelming for me this year... I'll have to think about it. Of course, I want to consciously focus on having more and better one-on-one with each of my kids, so that could be 6 items right there... lol
I posted mine. Not as great as yours. Thanks for the challenge. Good luck to you!
Post a Comment