Coming from large Mormon families, we are used to having "big" Thanksgivings, with lots of people around. Even the last few years as we have been in Louisiana, we have had people around. Last year we invited friends here (and ended up with a group of 16!). The year before that, friends invited us to their home. Both years have been really great fun, with good food and fantastic friends.
This year, we've opted to go solo. Why? Well, it started from laziness. I just really didn't feel like getting my house up to par to have a big group over. We have a small home, and the thought of 16 people or more was kind of overwhelming.
For awhile, we thought we might just go out to eat that day. Then, I remembered that I really do enjoy the cooking part of Thanksgiving. I enjoy trying the new recipes I've found, and cooking the old favorites. So we decided to stay home and cook a meal for just ourselves. Even after an invitation from fabulous friends, it just seems like Doug has been gone so much lately that we want to have a day where it's just our family - no cleaning to do, no assignment to bring - just stay home all day and bake a wonderful meal, listen to good music (no football in this house!), and enjoy being together.
However, the social side of me could not resist wanting to get people together. My brilliant idea was to invite anyone who wanted to come to the church around 5:00 for pie and games. Well, apparently the stake president didn't think my idea was so brilliant, so we decided to move the event to our house (scaled back of course since I can't fit the whole ward in my house). Then my amazing friend Amy stepped in and said, "let's do it here!". She has a lot more space than we do, so I think that will be better in the long run.
So basically, I get to stay home all day and bake (although it will be a pretty relaxing thing since it's just for us), then go and have a good times with games, food, and fun with friends from the ward. What could be better than that??
Being with our own families...yes, that might be better, but this is the next best thing, and I think it's going to be a very fun Thanksgiving.
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Your stake pres said no? What is up with that? We booked the church last thanksgiving to do with my inlaws side of the fam... funn story/ bishop heard we were doing it so he doubled booked and did his fam in the primary room. Either way, how would that not be acceptable?
Fabulous friends are only fantastic when other fabulously fantastic people are around :)
Amy :)
Awesome! Enjoy both aspects of your day!
We have a traditional gathering with other friends who do not have family in the area and aren't going home. It seems to grow in size each year, but as we aren't the hosts, that works for me! We contribute to the meal, have a great time talking with friends, and relax the entire day. Fun, fun, fun!
One year a friend went into labor as we were gathering. So they rushed off to the hospital, and later a small group of friends took Thanksgiving dinner to her and her hubby at the hospital, and got to be the first ones to see an hours-old baby!
Lewis, often personal parties are "taboo" in church buildings. I think it has to do with the tax exempt status and avoiding any misconception of the Church hosting any personal gatherings. Or something... However, we often borrow tables and chairs from the building for our gathering!
Post a Comment