Wednesday, November 26, 2008

On the menu

mmm....

Tonight I made the apple pies and the rolls. I'm finding it hard to adjust my recipes from high altitude to sea level. Last year I didn't adjust them at all, and things didn't work out very well, and this year I got a conversion chart and possibly overcompensated, because they weren't quite right but in the other direction.

But, Morgan and I stole a piece of apple pie a minute ago and I have to say it was pretty dang yummy. The crust was the best I've ever done, I think. The apples are a little tart (more sugar next time!!) and mushy (no parboiling next time, I think!). But overall they are pretty good. A little whipped cream on a piece tomorrow and they should be passable. Of course, mine are never as pretty as Bonnie's. But I try.

The rolls...hmmm. They taste really good, but they were SUPER sticky. It's a sticky dough anyway, but this was super sticky, very hard to roll.

By the time I figure out this altitude thing, we'll probably move back to the mountains.

Tomorrow we are trying an injected turkey. Creole butter flavor. That should be interesting.

I don't have a whole lot more to do tomorrow, food wise. I'm making a chocolate cream and coconut cream pie but they should be easy. Doug's doing the turkey. Then mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (we like them just baked with some butter, sea salt, and pepper -no marshmallows here!), stuffing (Stovetop, lol!), green beans with slivered almonds - oh, and cranberry jello for the kiddos. Should be a piece of cake compared to my roll and pie event today. That was hours long. And the clean up, oh my!

Everyone have a fantastic Thanksgiving! We're going to eat around 1:00 and then have pies at a friend's house at 5:00, play games, etc. Should be a fun and relaxed day!

2 comments:

Mama D said...

Sounds delicious! Have a fantastic day!

Bonnie said...

I think your pies look great. I ended up eating only one piece and that was the only pie that anyone did. I think I am going to go make me another one and make me some pumpkin pies while I am at it--it just doesn't seem like Thanksgiving without the pumpkin pie.