Wednesday, October 8, 2008

So Close

Have you ever had one of those experiences where when it's over, you say, "Man, that was SO CLOSE! I'm lucky to be alive!"?

One day when one of my girls was an infant, I was out running errands and she fell asleep in the car. When I arrived home, she was still asleep, so I carried her in the carseat to the extra bed that was in her room. I didn't want to wake her, and knowing that she could not yet roll over, I thought she would be fine like that. I undid the harness in the carseat so that she would be a little more comfortable, closed the door, and went about my business putting away groceries.

After a few minutes, I had the distinct impression that I needed to go in and check on her. I thought that was odd because it had been such a short time, but it was a strong impression and I followed it.

She had wiggled her body just enough that she tipped the carseat over. She was laying in between the bed and the wall, with her face against the covers of the bed, with the carseat partially on top of her. You could hear her whimpering...barely, as her face was almost completely covered up. A few more minutes and she would have suffocated.

As I grabbed her and held her to me, my first thought was "man, I am so stupid!!" and my second thought was, "wow, that was SO CLOSE! If I would not have had the prompting to check on her, I would have killed my baby!".

My family had another of those experiences yesterday, involving my brother. It's one of those things that you look back on and think, "Wow, that was SO CLOSE! How did he get out of there alive??".

Without giving all the details, he and two coworkers came upon a drug operation and were held at gunpoint by the growers. Luckily, he lives his life close to the spirit and was prompted along the way with what to do. One thing that came in handy was that he speaks fluent Spanish (thanks to those LDS missions!) and was able to speak with these people and reason with them in their native language. Several times he was told by the spirit what to do, and it kept him and his co-workers safe through the ordeal. I haven't heard directly from him yet, since he has been with the police for most of the time since this incident - but from all accounts I am hearing, he was able to be the leader among his two co-workers and get them out of there alive. I'm really proud of him, and really happy that he is safe.

Things like this sure make me grateful for everything that I have.

6 comments:

Semi Granola Mom said...

Holy Glory! What a situation to be in, glad though he in is tune and still alive :)
~C

Angie said...

Yes, it's bizarre, and scary. Just got word that it was the biggest drug haul in the county history, but the bad guys got away...so far. Hopefully they will still catch them. At any rate, these three guys were lucky to get out of there safely.

Dancersmama said...

Where does your brother live? That is CRAZY! I'm so glad he is okay. And I'm SOOOO extremely grateful for the Holy Spirit and it's gracious guidance!

Angie said...

He lives in Nevada for the time being - he actually just found out on Monday that he is being transferred back to Utah. He works for the BLM and they just stumbled upon all this. Another fun day at work, lol!

Amy said...

Wow, that's crazy and amazing. Glad your brother is okay and really hope they catch the bad guys!

Mama D said...

Glad your brother is all right. That would be scary, but would also build faith.

My most recent "whew, that was close" was when Ike came through here and the tree fell on the house, breaking only the outer pane of a double-pane window. Two of my kids were in that room. We were inches away from what could have been a catastrophe!

There are miracles in many every day, and not so daily, events!