As music leader in Primary, this can be a stressful day for me, but they did so well! I was very proud of them. And I was proud of my own kids who got right up and did their parts without complaining. Overall, I thought the music went better yesterday in the practice than it did today, but we got a lot of compliments...and mostly I'm just happy it's over!
My favorite number was "If the Savior Stood Beside Me". We did a rather difficult arrangement of this song, and the activity day girls learned it so well! I went to AD a couple of times to help them with it, and they did a fantastic job. We had two soloists on this song and they both have angel voices and were absolutely beautiful.
"Called to Serve" was also a huge favorite. The kids really love this song and sing it with such gusto. I love it.
As with every CSMP (I've done this in one capacity or another for the last 6 years straight), there were a few missteps and blunders...both with the music and with the spoken word. But hey, that's what makes the CSMP so much fun, right? It's unpredictable!
To help the kids get ready for the program, I've been doing an "olympics" theme for the last couple of months. We've done different review games and such as part of our training. Yesterday I had the bishopric be our judges at the practice, and we awarded all of the kids gold medals after the practice. I wanted to do a little ceremony and shake all of their hands, but the practice went way long and I didn't want to take the extra time. So instead, I just handed them their "medal" as they came in the cultural hall for pizza. The medals were just cookies, wrapped in saran wrap, with a gold circle taped on top...here is a picture so that you can see kind of how they looked:

The ribbons weren't really there to hold the weight of the cookie, they were just for looks.
This is about as creative as I get, folks!
Anyway, we had a great program and now I get to find music for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and start choosing songs for next year and making 2009 music CD's. The program is a little different next year, in that 4 songs are chosen for us (usually all 8 are chosen by the general primary board), 2 months we get to choose between 2 different songs, and 2 months we get to choose anything we want (that goes with the theme)! So, it will be a little trickier to come up with the music, but it will also be stuff that we've chosen so it should go well when the time to teach comes. I'll be honest in saying there have been a few songs I've taught over the years that I didn't really care for and were really HARD to teach because I couldn't get into them...so it will be good to have a little more hand in it this time.
Way to go primary kids! I am so proud of everyone for doing their best!



6 comments:
I enjoyed the program. You could have omitted the song "Home" and my radical feminist self would have been fine with that, but I know they didn't give you choices.
"Home is where there's father with strength and wisdom true. Home is where there's mother and all the children too."
Ugh, ugh, ugh.
lol, I'm glad you mostly liked the program. I actually don't care for that song either, but for different reasons than you. To me, the wording is awkward.
Those cookies rock, totally creative!
Thank you for giving Jacob the opportunity to play violin to Home. He was beaming and was so glad that Mr. Wagner came to hear him too. I thought things went much better in practice too, which is surprisingly different than other programs - who knows! Oh well, it was great and I know your medals and all the fun things you did with the kids were a huge hit with my boys. Did you see Ellie standing up on the pew the entire program singing with the primary? She stood there occasionally asking Sam if she could go up and sing while holding her program open like sheet music; it was so adorable. Great job Angie, hope you get your wish and are gone before too long :)
Jacob did a great job! No, I didn't see Addie, that would've been cute! What's funny about Mr Wagner is that when Doug went up to introduce himself, he said, "I used to be a member of this church"...I told Doug that I'm sure he's probably one of the thousand unaccounted for people on the rolls. He seems like a very nice guy.
I got to thinking...you know, my calling could be a lot worse. It gets frustrating sometimes, but I would SO rather do this than some other things that I won't mention or I will for sure get called to them! I'm just going to keep reminding myself of that on the not-so-great primary days.
Oh, and tell Zack he did fantastic too on his solo. I love having such talented kids to work with!
Glad your Primary presentation went so well. The special musical numbers always add to the program.
Your cookie medals are awesome!
Post a Comment