I've been giving the career thing a lot of thought lately, and it's come down to two things: Just get a "job" and move on, or plan for a "career" later.
I've decided to go for the career, but in baby steps.
To do what I really want to do (teaching/guidance counseling), I will need to go back to school. That is something I can't really afford at the moment - not to mention crazy schedules and that school has already started.
I'm going to keep working sub jobs and elections, and I might break down and start teaching a few piano lessons again. It's not my all-time favorite job, but it's good money for the time it takes, and I know I could get students. I just feel really strongly that right now I need to have a flexible schedule for the sake of my kids. It's selfish, but I want to work when I want to work, and be there for my kids when they need me without a boss telling me what to do. I'm long done with bosses, at least at peon jobs.
While I'm doing that, I will probably try to get the medical transcriptionist training (Julie and Brianne, I will be in touch!!) - so that I can have more regular work (since subbing and elections are very sporadic) while I attend grad school.
Then I'm going to try to get into a master's program starting either next fall (2009, finishing in 2012) or the following (2010, finishing in 2013) - a lot of that depends on what financial aid I can get, where I decide to go...etc.
In a nutshell, I hope to have my master's by 2013 at the latest, and start teaching and/or counseling by the 2013-2014 school year. That sounds like a long time, but I'd only be 42 - and my kids will be 14, 12, and 10. Hopefully that would give me enough years to contribute to their college educations! If I started at age 42, I could still have a good 20-25 year career, right?
Well, anyway, that's the plan. Baby steps.
Monday, September 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
That sounds like a good plan, and it has the added benefit that you don't have to do anything different really for almost a year!
(snerk!)
I wish...but I do need to try to pick up a few piano students to bring in a little more income, and of course start a medical transcription program. Other than that, status quo.
I like your plan and your recognition of the necessary baby steps to reach your goals. The most important aspect, IMO, is being home with your kids when they are young and having control over your schedule! Congrats on achieving that!
Post a Comment