Saturday, August 9, 2008

Yummy

Whenever I find a recipe I like, I enjoy sharing it. So, here's one I tried today and we loved! By "we", I mean Doug and I, as my kids won't eat anything new. But it is super yummy, pretty easy to make, and a nutritious meal. Enjoy!

Chicken Enchiladas and green salsa:

Preheat oven to 400.

Saute in 1 tbsp oil for 3-5 minutes:
2 small zucchini, diced
1 small red onion, chopped
1 ear of corn, kernels cut off the cob (could also used drained canned corn).

Put sauteed veggies in a large bowl and add:
1 2 1/2-3 pd rotisserie chicken, meat shredded
6 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
about a teaspoon of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper

Mix together and set aside.

Heat about 3 tbsp oil in skillet.

12 6-inch corn torillas (we actually had enough filling for 15-18).

When oil is heated, cook tortillas about 10-15 seconds per side in oil. Put on paper towels to drain off oil.

Put a big spoonful of meat/veggie mixture in each tortilla and fold sides (wait until tortillas are cooled off a bit from the oil). Put seam side down in a baking dish. Bake for approx 10-12 minutes, until heated through.

Serve with green salsa and sour cream if desired.

Green salsa:

1 pound tomatillos, husks removed (about 8-10)
1 jalapeno, seeded
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 tbsp fresh lime juice (juice of one lime)
salt to taste

pulse in food processor until finely chopped.

Hope you like it! We did. In fact, I want more right now but I'm too stuffed!

BTW, Doug liked his with the sour cream but I don't think it really added anything but fat and calories. I'd try it with just the salsa first and then add the sour cream if you want.

2 comments:

Brianne said...

That sounds so delicious, my mouth is watering!

Dancersmama said...

Mmmmm, does sound good! A couple ways I saw right off to cut calories was, 1st: when I cook my tortillas, I spray them with Pam and "fry" them in a pan instead of using any oil. Also, the only sour cream consumed in this household is fat free and it's delicious. I don't even know what regular sour cream tastes like, the fat free is so good! This recipe looks good and very unique with the corn kernels. Yummy! But, like ya'll, I doubt my kids would eat it either. More for the parents, right?