Saturday, August 30, 2008

Gustav, the update

Well folks, this storm is getting scarier, and further east, by the minute. This is not a good thing for us. I am not hopeful.

We are taking off as soon as we can tomorrow. We have a few things to wrap up in the morning, but for the most part the car is loaded and we are ready. We are waiting for a man in our ward who needs to follow us, and has an appointment for dialysis tomorrow. I guess they are still doing his dialysis no matter what, so he should be done sometime in the morning and we are leaving around noon. We are planning at least 4-5 hours to make a 80 mile drive to Hattiesburg. I will post as soon as I have internet access (that might be a few days), and I'll have my cell phone with me (985-710-3405).

Right now I'm just really sad, because there are some people I've come to really care about who are just BARELY getting back into their houses after Katrina. The thought that they might lose everything again is just almost too much to comprehend right now. For us, I'm worried about losing our stuff, but I realize that there is nothing here that cannot be replaced, including our entire home. As long as we are together and safe that is what is important. Then again, you hate to see all of the stuff you've worked for washed away too. It's just sad, and who knows what to expect when we get back. It might be our house that's damaged, maybe our neighbors or friends, but either way it really stinks. Even if it misses us entirely, I don't see any way it is going to miss Lousiana entirely, which means Doug is going to have a lot on his hands through his work. So, just yucky all around.

On a posiitive note, we feel prepared and will just do the best we can through it all. Most of our friends here are already safely evacuated or leaving soon. And whatever happens I know people will pull together like they did before.

I'll be in touch.

1 comment:

Mama D said...

I find your attitude and optimism hopeful and refreshing! Continued prayers. Best wishes for all of you in the Gulf Coast.