Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back to School Family Home Evening

Last night we had a fun family home evening that I thought I'd share.

A lot of this comes from my friend Amy. Thanks Amy! She liked the marshmallow popcorn that we gave them at Christmas, so she used the recipe and added some cute things that I then molded to our family. Thumbs up by everyone!

Marshmallow popcorn FHE:

First, we talked about how each family member plays an important role. We assigned each person a job to do: Dad's job was to get the popcorn popper and saucepan, Morgan got the butter and sugar, Elise got the big bowl and wooden spoon out, and Ashlyn helped me get the corn syrup, vanilla, and food coloring.

Once we had all of our ingredients gathered, I put some unpopped kernels in my hand and we talked about how these kernels have not yet reached their potential. They are going to be super yummy in a few minutes, but right now they are just unpopped kernels of corn. What do they need to expand? (Discuss). We talked about how the heat will make them pop, and then we talked about how the heat can represent learning, or trying things that might be hard for us at first. Things that are hard can help us grow! After we talked about that for a few minutes, we put the corn in the popper and got the topping started:

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup

Bring to a boil, and then boil for three minutes - stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add 1 tsp vanilla and 3 cups of miniature marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows are melted. You can add food color if you want - last night we decided on blue, in a 3/2 vote between and yellow.

Pour topping over 5 quarts (big bowl) of popped corn. Stir to coat.

Before we coated the corn, we talked about how the popcorn kernels individually are weak and can be separated. If you grab a handful of popcorn and throw it, it will go all over the place! But once the topping is on, it will stick together and come out in one big lump. We related this to our family and how when we each go off and do our own thing we are not as strong - but when we bind together and support each other we "stick" together and are stronger.

While the popcorn cooled, we had a family council meeting where we went over school schedules and the morning and after school routines that would be changing from what we've done over the summer. I think everyone now knows what is expected this year and is ready to go! Then we chowed down on our popcorn!

BTW, we only make this recipe once or twice a year at most - I call it "heart attack in a bowl" or "Sugar coma in a bowl". But mmmm....yummy!

I got commitments out of each girl to do their best in their gymnastics and music this year. This year we will have a violist (Morgan), cellist (Elise), and violinist (Ashlyn) - and three pianists and three gymnasts!

Now we are getting ready to go price cellos in town (I think I can get them a lot cheaper online though), and get new piano books. Doug wants to switch them from Bastien to Piano Adventures.

Thanks Amy for giving me the fun FHE idea! We had a great time!

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

Sounds like a good lesson and a lot of fun. Landon starts two weeks from yesterday and the other kids start 2 weeks from tomorrow--besides Hayden who starts on the 27 because of kindergarten testing the first week. I am excited to get this year going and get back to a schedule.

Cami said...

How fun. We will have to try this. Good luck to all of you this year. I'm sure it'll be a success!

Dancersmama said...

What a fun idea! We should get together sometime and do a group-family FHE!

Brianne said...

That is a fantastic idea! I will be writing that one down for future use!

Anonymous said...

Hey This is Kylee!! I miss you A lot!! I cant wait to see you guys.

Angie said...

Kylee my niece?? Yay!! Do you guys have a blog yet? You need to get one so we can check in on you! We were so bummed that we did not get to see you guys when we were in Utah earlier this summer. We're hoping to come out again next summer so we'll definitely come see you then! Or even better, you guys should take a New Orleans vacation! Love, Aunt Angie