Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What's in a name?

It's midnight and I can't sleep - I've always heard that you shouldn't just lay there, so I thought I'd blog!

I guess this talk about birthdays has me thinking about my kid's names, and that I should probably write down how they got their names. I know all of this is boring to most people, but this is the only form of journaling I'm really doing at the moment, so bear with me.

Morgan Larene: When I lived in Driggs, I had a very good friend named Morgan McKay. Very sweet and intelligent guy. He asked me to a dance once, and it was one of those where the guy fills out a dance card for his "date" (this was 8th grade so it was during the day at school, not really a date, but anyway...). Morgan worked so hard to make sure that all the guys on my dance card were guys that I wanted to be with. He was so proud that he had gotten me the best card of the dance. Really sweet that way! Anyway, we moved from Driggs when I was 14, and when I was 16, Morgan was killed in a car accident. I decided then that I would like to name my first child, male or female, after him. Secretly I hoped it would be a girl because I like the name better for a girl, and my wish came true! A few years ago I called Morgan McKay's mom to tell her that I still think about him and what a good friend he was to me, and that I'd named my daughter after him, and she cried. LaRene is Doug's mom's name, so that's where we get the middle name.

Elise Jeanette: I've always loved the name Elise. I've known a few Elise's over the years and they are all just really sharp, classy ladies. When I was doing family history, I also found that my great-grandma who I've always wanted to know had a sister named Elise. Jeanette is a form of Jeanie - my mom's name. We used Jeanette instead of Jean or Jeanie because we thought it had a bit of a French ring to it, and Doug loves all thing French.

Ashlyn Lily: I really wanted the first name to be Lily, in honor of my awesome grandma. But as I thought of "Lily Gardner" I thought that might be kind of weird. Everyone would tell me, "Oh, no one will even put the two together", but I still had my doubts. These doubts were confirmed one day when I was visiting teaching and the daughter (8 years old) of the lady I was visiting asked what I was going to name the baby. I told her we were thinking about Lily, and she said, "Oh, I like that! Lily Gardner - like a garden of lilies!"...and that's when I knew that this could NOT be her name! So, then we had to come up with a first name that would go with Lily as a middle name. All during my pregnancy with Morgan, I had these really vivid dreams about a little boy named Ashton. I figured if I ever had a little boy,Ashton would be his name. Well, when we found out our third was another girl and it would be our last child, I guess Ashlyn kind of evolved from that. In all honesty, the whole event with Ashlyn is kind of a blur so I guess Doug probably is the one who made that final decision - or at least I was in a drug-induced stupor when I picked it! But I do like it, and it fits her perfectly.

Now it is officially Elise's birthday! So happy birthday girl!

2 comments:

Mama D said...

It is so interesting to find out how people came to choose their kids' names. I have thought of doing a post on this same thing, but haven't decided whether that is too much info out there in cyber-space. Maybe I will since you have paved the way!

Dancersmama said...

The name picking stories are always interesting, I must say! Both our kids' names and middle names were well thought out and "planned", so to speak! We had to make sure we agreed on both names. It was almost harder with the boys names, because Ty didn't want me picking anything to "cutesy". He shot down MANY names I had picked out for Kade!