Friday, July 11, 2008

An explanation for the blahs

All day yesterday I just did not feel like doing anything! Felt kind of yucky. I chalked it up to just getting back into town and not having much energy, and just sat around reading or on the computer most of the day.

Then Morgan came in and said, "Mom, it's really hot in here!" I went and checked the thermostat and it was almost 90 degrees! The A/C was running but no air was coming through the vents. You know, when we got back from our trip, I didn't think things were working right. It seemed to take forever for it to cool down, and that the air coming out wasn't very cold. So, I think it's been going on for a long time.

So, that explains it! I do not do well in the heat! In an area where you run the A/C pretty much all year, I shouldn't be surprised that there are issues. I meant to do a pre-season check, but with everything going on I didn't get it done. Plus, the last service we had was just last September so I thought it would probably still be okay. Wrong.

I left a message for Doug (he's out of town - I'm telling the truth when I say that every time this has happened he is out of town!) and set up a service appointment for today, then Doug called back and said there is a guy in the ward who does A/C and that I should call him instead. So, long story short, Brother Watton came out at 9:00 last night and got us up and running again! He is so nice! I told him we could get through until today, but he said he didn't feel comfortable leaving little kids in that heat, so he was coming right out. It took him about an hour but he got us working - we were all frozen up and out of freon. So, that's fixed.

However, this is the third time since we've lived in this house (just over 2 years) that we've had A/C problems. Don said that the unit we have is basically just the cheapest, end of the line thing you can get - what this builder put in all the houses and everyone's is going out - he said the life expectancy of these units has only been about 6 years - and our house was built in 2002, so there you go!

He's going to give us an estimate on a new system, or at least a new coil, and we'll see what we can do. In the meantime, we are at least hobbling along now in a comfortable house (for the moment, until it goes out again!).

6 comments:

Dancersmama said...

Ohhh, Angie, I FEEL your pain!! Things like this ALWAYS happen when Ty is out of town (ie: our latest fridge problems! And when we had a/c problems a year and a half ago, and we did have to get a whole new system.... yep, Ty was out of town!) Angie, this is why bad things always happen when our husband are out of town...
Our husbands are ALWAYS out of town!! Sad, but true. Please call me if this happens again, I will have you come hang out at our house. You could even spend the night! Seriously!

Ann said...

We tried really, really hard to get the AC replaced before we bought our house - we knew it was only a matter of time. It was the original unit, and the house was over 15 years old. It took two years though - long enough that we had thoughtlessly let the home warranty lapse. We had the outside thing and inside thing replaced separately, about a year apart. Ah well, it's only money.

Amy said...

Ugh! We are sisters in the misery of the heat and I feel your pain. Bro Watton is replacing Sixta's system today. There must be something in the water around here. I am keeping my fingers crossed about ours but it's a constant paranoia for me!

Brianne said...

We constantly have A/C problems in our apartment even though both the inside and outside units have been replaced. When you wrote that the unit was just blowing air and it wasn't cool, I knew right away that you needed freon. That's one of the many problems our outside unit has.

Jen (Maddie Lou Beanies) said...

I understand the heat! Last summer there was a fire and it burned a transformer or something like that and the whole city was out of power for hours! It was during the hottest season and it was about 105-110 degrees out that day, Ryan was of course out of town, I couldn't make dinner so we drove down to mesquite. We probably would have gotten a hotel, but the whole of St. George was staying there and everywhere said it was full. Luckily the power came on late that night. By the way I love the pictures of your girls on your sidebar, they look so cute!

Mama D said...

Having lived in AL, I feel your pain with the heat! So glad that you were able to get the a/c fixed for now. What a great thing to have compassionate people who are willing to help at the drop of a hat!