Thursday, June 19, 2008

There goes the neighborhood - or Our old house part 2

As you saw in the previous post, we at first loved living in PG. Our ward had a lot of the "old timers" who had known my mom from the time she was an baby.
Then the growth went nuts. That's what a temple nearby will do, unfortunately (the Mt. Timp temple is about 1/2 mile away).
As the growth happened, our ward split and split, and finally became pretty much unrecognizable to us. I wasn't a fan, but we pulled through. Just before we moved to Louisiana, we bought a lot in Lehi to build a home, so one way or another we were moving shortly.
Backing up a bit - to pay for her new home to be built, grandma sold a bunch of her land, so she only had 1/2 acre left. Just in the last year they've started to develop it, and it's really sad. We used to have the prettiest view, and now this is what grandma has outside her little apartment door:I call this the Motel 6 - and no, it isn't a motel, it is a private home! Don't tell them I said so, but I think this is an ugly monstrosity! Rumored to be about 13,000 square feet and to have 14 bathrooms, it is the new "mountain" that is the view instead of beautiful Timpanogos. Here is what it looks like from the front: We won't even talk about NEED, because really, who NEEDS a house this size? Let's just talk about WANT. Why would you even want a place like this? I personally think it is an embarrassment. Sorry for those who disagree with me, but I think it's awful. My grandma is so upset by it all, but nothing to do about it now but try to be a good neighbor. Just my opinion, if I had millions of dollars to spend on an atrociously huge home, I would put it in an exclusive neighborhood, not among normal homes. Okay, so the new norm in the neighborhood is like 5,000-8,000 sq feet, which is plenty big, but this is just ridiculous.

5 comments:

Dancersmama said...

UGH! Amen to everything you said, Angie! It does look like a motel 6. Seems like pure greed to me. Can you imagine cleaning 13 bathrooms?!

Cami said...

I also agree, I think it is so sad.

Amy said...

Maybe I'll go be the maid for a year and make enough to live on for the rest of our lives! I could probably keep my entire family in the 'servants quarters'. Do you still have the land in Lehi?

Angie said...

Lol, I was thinking the same thing Amy! I was thinking we could easily put 5 families in this house. Who knows, maybe this is their plan? Doubtful.
About our land in Lehi. No, we don't have it anymore. It was the oddest thing. We had been trying to figure out what to do, where to buy/build, if they were going to transfer Doug or what. We found the perfect lot, and the perfect houseplan for us, and put down our earnest money. Doug had been told that he would most likely be going to the Riverton office to run it as a one-man office, so this would have been an easy commute.
I kid you not, that SAME DAY, Doug's boss called and told him that Louisiana was open and he'd noticed Doug had applied yet and "encouraging" him to do so. We really prayed about it but in the end we felt that if he didn't apply, he would never be given another opportunity to move up with LDS. So, he applied. I was secretly hoping he wouldn't get it...but just in time for the deadline to get our earnest money back, they called and told us we were moving. So, we went back and got our money back, and our lot went to someone else. Boo hoo. I was getting so excited about having a brand new house of my own! It was a Fieldstone home which means it was very simple but also very big for the price. I think our floor plan was 3400 sq feet for around $200,000 including the lot! Oh well. Here we are, and it all worked out. We are learning to squeeze into 1400 feet, lol!

Amy said...

Wow! The Lord works in mysterious and _small_ ways :o) We are glad you are here!