I had a hard time finding wireless for a few days, so I'm finally updating our last couple of days in DC. We made it home early this morning (1:30 a.m.!, I'm so tired!) and all is well. Here is what we did the last few days!
Saturday we had to check out of one hotel and into another one. The transfer process was pretty easy and quick, although we were now staying a few metro stops further into Virginia. The hotel was old, but remodeled and nice. Or at least decent.
They were forecasting bad weather for the day, so we tried to do things inside and close to metro stops. We first went to the Smithsonian Gallery of American Art/Portrait Gallery. This is where the presidential portraits are. It was another neat art museum. They have the $30 million "Landsdowne" portrait of George Washington by Gilbert Stuart so that was fun to see.
After that, we went to the Holocaust Museum. I love to visit this museum but it is also obviously very sad and emotionally draining. We actually didn't get to see all of it before it closed. During the time we were in there, it apparently stormed really badly and there were several trees down and such around the area when we came out - but we luckily missed the entire thing!
By the time we came out, the weather was gorgeous and we walked down the Mall from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial, catching the WWII, Vietnam, and Korean Memorials on the way. Neat places to see!
I took a ton of pictures but decided I wouldn't post them because a) they are the same types of things you'd see on postcards that already exist, b) I tried twice and slide booted me out both times after getting things halfway loaded...so I just gave up!
Yesterday morning we got up and went to the White House visitor's center and the south lawn of the White House. We didn't bother to get tickets to tour the white house because it's a pain.
Then we went back to the Holocaust Museum to finish up a couple of exhibits and films that we had wanted to see but didn't have time for on Saturday.
Afterwards, we went to the mall in Pentagon City to wait for our flight. We had dinner there and then shopped a bit and picked up some things for the girls. We did see one kind of funny thing there that I will post in a separate post in a minute.
We had to go back to the hotel to get our luggage, so Doug just took a cab to do that and we made it in plenty of time for our flight home. All of our travels were smooth, but we didn't get in until 1:30 and now we are pooped. Doug went to work today and I was supposed to be getting things done at home, but um...really haven't! I need to get myself in gear here soon.
So that's our little jaunt to DC. Fun times! Next time, NYC or Paris!
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
What a fun trip, it sounds like. I would LOVE to see the Holocaust museum. You'll have to tell me all about it.
Post a Comment