It has been so long since I really posted, thought I'd better do a quick update. Perhaps over the holidays I will have time to do other things with the blog such as put photos of my kids on that are more recent than like 5 years old! Then again, I really enjoy looking at them at those ages, so maybe I'll leave them.
Since I last wrote, there have been a lot of changes in life. I got a new job doing payroll at the school district and I really enjoy it. I still do transcription as well - 20 hours of each - but it's a much better work-life balance for me, not so many late nights, and no more Friday nights or Sunday shifts. That's really been a blessing. For a time there, I thought I might really go insane.
As a part of this change, I've also really been focusing on strengthening my marriage. It's been good to date again (we have a standing Friday night date now) and in the last month we've probably spent more time with each other than we have in the last year combined. It's been really good.
Dee also started teaching piano lessons again. I remember when we were dating he told me that no matter what else he was doing in life, he wanted to teach at least a few lessons, but as life and multiple jobs and callings have happened he's not been able to keep with that. He recently decided that he could fit it in and has picked up 5 students. I think that's about the right number for him. I hope that he'll be able to keep up with it, because I think it secretly makes him happy.
The kids are doing great. Report cards came and went and those brought smiles. Lou started in band (she's playing the flute) and is enjoying that. Sis performed in church on the bells for a Christmas song, and she did a great job! She was nervous, but she hung in there and helped make a beautiful number even more so. I was proud of her for that.
We also briefly contemplated becoming foster parents. In the end, there were just too many things that didn't fit for us right now. Our house would need some major changes in order to have more than 1 child (we'd like to be open to a sibling group), and more than anything we are both a little worried about false accusations - especially if we get older children - because those accusations could end our livelihood...like for real. Both of us work in fields where we need to have an absolutely spotless record. It was just too scary to think about that.
I am still open to adopting, but Dee doesn't really feel a void there (I can't say I really feel a void in our family either, I just want to help kids if I can). I think I just need to find a way to help in other ways. Maybe become a CASA volunteer or something, or even do respite care for foster care, or maybe the answer is just finally going back to school to become the counselor that I want to be and helping kids that way.
Speaking of which, Dee has me about talked into getting a degree in social work rather than guidance counseling. It's just a much more versatile degree, which I could use for guidance counseling, or something else if I want to. So, I am looking at programs right now. I would really like to start next fall. I guess my big hang-up has just been money. I can't afford to pay tuition right now, or stop working for that matter. So I need a program that is practical and flexible and also I need to take that leap to deciding I am ready to take on student loan debt again. Still not sure I'm there yet.
It seems like life moves at breakneck speed. I am trying to catch up. I think that's about it for now. There is more - a lot more, actually, but time is of the essence and now isn't the time. Soon.
Until then.
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Nice to hear from you. Do you realize how many times you've said, "I'm going to start next fall...One of these days you'll have to actaully do it. You'd make a great counselor.
Post a Comment