When I was a freshman at Ricks College many moons ago, there was a rumor going around that they were going to let the young sisters serve missions at the same time as the elders (age 19). In hindsight, I am thinking this is probably a rumor that went around among every freshman class at church schools every year.
Being the great investigator of rumors that I am (wink), I started really preparing for a mission. Mostly, I was excited about the prospect of getting home at the same time or not much later than the missionary I was writing to at the time.
That rumor took 23 years to come to fruition. But it was a true rumor, in the end (or at least partly, since the age for elders was also bumped down by a year.)
I always had a desire for missionary service, and at 19 and 20 I really was looking forward to it and preparing for it - trying to save money, study the gospel, remain worthy, and even going to the temple for my own endowment at age 20. I was ready.
Then, life happened. As I approached my 21st birthday, I also approached my senior year at BYU. I was really starting to get into my major and enjoying it very much. In addition, I was dating someone and it was new but I wanted to see how it played out before going on a mission.
Fast forward almost a year. I was nearing 22. The relationship I spoke of had not gone anywhere really (although interestingly, once I had my mission call this person did ask me to stay home and try again...which was interesting considering the fact that I had already put my life on hold for him for a year. I made the best choice.)
I digress.
So, I'm almost 22. I'm in my senior year, just a semester and a half left. My favorite cousin who is a month older than me has been out serving for awhile. My brother has just got his call. I am starting to feel the pull again that I should go. And yet.
That money I had saved? Gone. As I just mentioned, my parents were just getting ready to send out my brother. I did not even dare ask them if they could help now. I pretty much just decided I would not go.
Then, one of those little events happened. You know, those little annoyances that ends up being an answer to prayer, a tender mercy?
I lost my temple recommend. At that time, I was attending the temple every week, and after one of my temple trips I could not find it anywhere. Gone.
So, I made an appointment with the bishop to get another one, and during that interview he asked me if I had given any more thought to serving a mission. I told him it was on my mind but that I was still "figuring it all out". He basically said no pressure, but if you feel like you are ready now, come see me again.
Then it was time to meet with a member of the stake presidency. This is a man who I really did not know well other than to see him sitting on the stand at conference. We'd never spoken or shaken hands or anything. I don't recall ever seeing him again, actually. Can't even remember his name now. Anyway, he sat down with me and the first thing he asked me was if I had considered a mission. I hesitated for a moment and didn't say anything as I waited to formulate my thoughts. Then he said (I kid you not....and I had not voiced this concern to a soul at that point) something along these lines, "If finances are a concern, there are many people in this stake who are willing to help." He went on to tell me about how they had all this money that had been donated by people who had saved up for their children's missions and then the children didn't go. They wanted to support a missionary. And I could be that missionary.
Wow.
After that, the process went really fast. This was in mid October and by election day (yes, the day Bill Clinton was elected) I was having my final interview with the stake president and my papers were off.
Twenty years ago.
I got my call on the day of the BYU/Utah football game. I was living with my grandma at the time so there was no big hoopla with my family. I just called them and then opened the envelope and read:
Oregon Eugene mission. January 10.
I had gone from indecision in mid-October to being in the MTC 2-1/2 months later.
Obviously, it was one of the best things I ever did and I will never regret having done it. I grew so much and learned so much during that time, and met people who have changed my life forever.
I know I have been posting on Facebook a lot about this new change to sisters being able to serve at 19 and my friends are probably getting annoyed with me, but that's just because I am so completely excited. I know this will mean that many, many more young women will have this opportunity and their lives will be forever blessed. Not to mention that the gospel will flood the earth like never before.
What's not to be excited about?
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I was excited for both announcements. I was excited that Landon could put his papers in NOW and get on his mission and I was overjoyed that young women can now serve at 19--I think that is perfect. I think many more young women will serve and I am confident that families will be strengthened because of it.
Hi Angie....Yes, I read your blog. I loved this post and learning about how you decided to go on a mission. I am very excited about the change too. I decided when I was 16 to go on a mission. I was very jealous of all my male friends when I was 19. I think we probably got our calls around the exact same time.
Anne Carman
Post a Comment