Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Independence/Liberty Jail

We made a very brief stop in Independence and Liberty. I don't know why I took such lame pictures there. I only took a few and they didn't really capture anything about what we did there. This is the Community of Christ temple across the street from the visitor's center.

After we left that area, we made our way up toward I-80 to continue west toward Utah. Lo and behold, we got to a certain point on I-29 and the interstate was closed due to flooding. Apparently the rest of the world knew about this, but we didn't! :/ These photos are the point where the freeway detoured, so we thought we'd take a picture of how close the water was (it was closer in other spots but this was the best we got.) You can see the homes and farms in the background and see just how much the river flooded. I guess this was several weeks after the initial flooding. After a very long and very dangerous detour (animals darting out in front of us as we drove through Iowa's rolling hills, two lane roads and a very tired driver) we FINALLY made it to our hotel in Nebraska. That was definitely the worst driving day of the whole trip - all the way from Nauvoo to Lincoln via Kansas City and an unexpected detour. At least we have the precious memories, haha!

No comments: