Sunday, March 27, 2011

When it rains, it pours

Our furnace went out a few weeks ago. It was fixable, but the repairman said really it's just time for a new one. Add to that the need for a new roof, a new car, braces for 2 kids, a vacation to Utah this summer...and I am feeling pretty financially overwhelmed at the moment.

Which is why it is good that while it is raining financial "needs" it is also raining financial "blessings" in the form of employment opportunities. A few weeks ago, I was jobless other than a part time job that I thought would be ending in June. Since then, I have been offered:

-a full time job in the field I just spent lots of time and money on to learn
-a part time, fill-in job (which will amount to about 10 hours a week) during the school year

and

-found out that the job I thought would be ending in June will be continuing until at least the end of the year

At this moment, I have accepted all of the above and I'm going to try to pull off 53 hours of work a week. It's insane, but I have my reasons. Let's start with job #1: full time medical transcription.

This will be a graveyard shift. That's pretty crazy to wrap my head around right now, but I'm going to give it a try. I will be working this job from home, Thursday-Monday 11:30 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. It's a schedule I chose because my other option was 2nd shift (3-11 p.m.) and that's prime time with my kids. We'll see how it goes, that's all I can say for now. It's a good company, with benefits such as insurance, 401k, bonuses, etc. I am excited to work in the field and gain some experience, and I'm hoping that eventually I can work into a different schedule - although who knows, I might end up really liking 3rd shift.

Job # 2...I kind of fell into this one accidentally and if I end up dropping anything it will be this. It is as a substitute crossing guard for the school district. I applied several weeks ago, in the midst of the endless nightmare of trying to find a job in transcription with no experience. I have always thought working in the schools would be great (and I've subbed as a teacher before, but in Michigan they require a teaching certificate to sub) and this might be a way to get my foot in the door. Plus, it is the same schedule as my kids which is really nice - when they are off, I'm off. I like that. It's only minimum wage, but might work into something permanent. I would totally just say no to this job EXCEPT that I do like the idea of being off when my kids are, and I have this nagging doubt about the transcription thing still. I wonder if the transcription will work out long-term. Will I like it? Can I handle graveyard shift? Will the industry still have work in a year or so or will all the docs move to EMR? So I really would like to have something else to fall back on if the other doesn't work out, and right now my leanings are toward trying both for now.

Job #3 - how could I give this up when I love it so much? Per hour, it pays the best. It's only 8 hours a week so it doesn't tie me down much at all. I love working with the lady that I do, and I feel like I am doing something that actually does some good in the world. Her husband was planning retirement at the end of June, so I thought I could balance all three of these things for the next 3 months and then this job would unfortunately end so I would need the others to get by. But she told me on Thursday (yes, the day after I had accepted both of these other jobs) that he is now planning to stay at his company until the end of the year, so I should have this job until then if I want it (and I do want it, this job is awesome!)

I keep telling myself that this is going to be hard. But, I know I can do hard things. Throw the busiest time of the year for my calling (youth conference, young women's camp, etc.) into all of this and I will agree with you that I am insane. But I do feel confident in myself that if it is too much I will know I need to let something go - and that will probably be the crossing guard job.

Right now, I am just grateful for the work. It should allow us to take care of some much needed things around here.

3 comments:

Mama D said...

It's raining and pouring here, too, but the blessings aren't quite as obvious. I'm glad you are being taken care of in such wonderful ways.

You may have a crazy schedule, but you will adjust and learn to balance things - and your family will learn to pick up some of the slack.

Unsolicited advice: I've worked 3rd shift - don't forget to sleep! Come home, get the girls off to school, then go to bed. It is important!

travelingmom said...

Wow! Angie that is a lot to take on! I thought I was crazy for taking on a 6 hour a week job. :) I'm glad you'll keep the third one! I hope things are going well there. I think about her often. Crossing gaurd, at Miller? That would be fun!

Angie said...

Hey Angela! Good to hear from you! I'll be a sub for now so I'll work all over the place. So far I've just been subbing at Miller though so that has been nice.

I do love that third job and if I had to give up anything it would be the crossing guard.

How are you guys? Is this 6-hour a week job something you are doing there?