Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Surprise!

I love surprises, especially when I'm the one doing the surprising and not the one being surprised! This past weekend I was able to surprise my mom for her 60th birthday. I flew in to Salt Lake on Friday evening, where my brother picked me up. After some car trouble and a punctured tire, we drove to my parent's house the next morning. We walked in the door right before everyone was about to leave for my nephew's baby blessing, so we said a quick hello (my mom of course was shedding a few tears) and then got dressed quickly to run across the street for the blessing.

After a wonderful baby blessing, lunch, and basketball at the church, I was able to spend the next day just hanging out with my family, watching BYU get into the Sweet Sixteen, and playing Scum of course.

Sunday morning we got a treat when we saw Elder Jeffrey R. Holland and Elder Kevin Worthen (area seventy) at my parent's stake conference. We were in a satellite building, but they came by before stake conference started to say hello to us even though we would be watching them on video for their talks. I enjoyed both of their talks very much. Oh, and Elder Worthen told my dad he liked his tie (he was wearing the exact same one!)

Sunday evening I returned to Utah County with my sister, where we visited my grandma and then played more scum (mostly so I could meet my niece's boyfriend...)

Monday, some quick shopping at the distribution center and other places, lunch, and then another quick visit with my grandma...then off to the airport. It was a whirlwind trip but so much fun to see all my siblings and their spouses, and all 22 of my nieces and nephews. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to take my kids along with me this time but they will see their cousins this summer.

I'm so glad I could go - thanks Sky Miles for making it happen! Happy birthday mom!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

fun surprise! What is scum?

Stacie said...

I'm so glad you were able to go! It sounds like fun.

BTW, I can't believe Jennifer doesn't know what scum is!

Angie said...

Someday we will have to invite you over for a rousing game of scum, Jennifer. It has another name too but I can't remember it...but it is a card game with a king, queen, down on to "scum" who has to give his 3 best cards to the king (the king gives his 3 worst to the scum). The scum has to try to work his way out during the game. He also is in charge of gathering up all the cards and shuffling them - or anything else the king asks him to do really. ;-) My family cannot get together without playing this game. Unfortunately.

Mama D said...

Sounds like a game my sister's family plays... though I don't remember if they call it scum. It was lots of fun to play!