I asked Sis what she wanted to do for her birthday this year (which is later this month) and she said she would like to have a Mardi Gras party.
We settled on the Friday before Mardi Gras (thus "Fat Tuesday on Friday" or "Fat Friday"). Each girl got to choose a couple of friends from the ward that they would like to invite. We invited 6 families, and 5 said yes! Not sure I was expecting that kind of turnout but we had a lot of fun.
So much fun I forgot to take pictures! Oops.
Friday was also District Choir Festival, which Sis was attending. I had already signed up to chaperone, so I wasn't home all day Friday. Dee kindly took the day off to make the king cake, and I made the rest of the food the night before.
By the way, Sis' choir did awesome!! When we left, 12 choirs had their scores posted - 2 "good", 9 "excellent", and ONE SUPERIOR!! Guess which ONE we were? That's right, they are now eligible for the state choir festival. Great job 6th grade choir!
So the night of the party, it was a little crazy. First of all, I left my wallet and umbrella on the bus. Long story but I was so worried about getting all the kids to their buses (we arrived after the bell had already rung for the day) and finding Sis (she was on a different bus, again a long story) that I reminded all the kids to get their stuff and left mine there! Sometimes I am so dumb I amaze myself haha.
Anyway, let's just say things were a little behind schedule. When guests arrived, the food wasn't yet reheated so I gave a little "sharing time" about Mardi Gras while the oven worked overtime. Then we ate (jambalaya, red beans and rice, shrimp or sausage gumbo, po-boys) followed by the most awesome Mardi Gras parade ever. Thanks T for the horns, they made everything especially festive (and loud lol). The adults (i.e. parade) came around and "threw" things at all the kids. They came out of it with quite a nice haul.
Then we settled everything down and projected a movie onto the wall in the living room (Princess and the Frog, of course) for the kids while the adults played games and visited.
In all, we had 12 adults and 17 children here. I need a bigger house - just a few times a year though. :-) The rest of the time, I don't want to clean a big house.
We ended the evening with king cake. A few friends found a little surprise in there. N is excited to host the next party and B said he "didn't want a baby". Good times.
Sunday, March 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Glad you had fun. You were awfully brave to host that many people on a day you wouldn't be home until late! You still have to take me and my friends to the real thing! I don't get your last paragraph - is that what you find in your king cake? or am I just dense? (don't answer that).
Sounds like a totally crazy - but totally fun - day. Congrats on the choir doing so well! Did you get your stuff back? And yes, please explain the king cake for those of us on the periphery...
Post a Comment